PDA

View Full Version : Nova Convertible

2litreturbo
13-04-04, 12:05 AM
Gunna start a new project for the summer. Convert a standard nova into a topless one.

What i need to know is if anyone has done research into this in the past? What is best removed and what parts stay on? I was thinking the whole of the roof. the b and c pillars. but leave the doors intact. And use a front cage to suport the windscreen and a rear cage for rollover protection. It wont have a soft top so i need some way to neaten the back off any ideas?

Any sugesstions would be appreciated. Will be starting in about 6-8 weeks ready for the hot sun!

Ste_Nova
13-04-04, 01:01 AM
go to germany and get a spider for under ?700

http://uploader.co.uk/images/f9ef8fbc85f57102f7bf76395e07aa7f.jpg

epo
13-04-04, 07:52 AM
^^^^^
that looks well mint

Chip_RB
13-04-04, 09:42 AM
convertables with cages look nasty, make sure any strengthening you do is below the door lines, got to agree that just buying a LHD one and swapping it to RHD (or just keep it LHD) is a much better option than DIY though.

Chip

2litreturbo
13-04-04, 11:07 PM
where does the spider get it's strengthening for the windscreen from?

Ste_Nova
14-04-04, 11:41 AM
the pilars are solid... and there is loads of box section where it attaches to

novacabrio
14-04-04, 10:27 PM

the pilars are solid...

Pillars are just standard nova with no extra strength, the only roll over protection is the roll bar that supports the roof. If you have the roof down and you roll a spider I have to say you have no chance! The box sections in the floor are very big and do give the car a lot of extra support. The rear 1/4 also have major support in them. I would also recomend get a proper conversion such as a spider or a hutchinsons. A company in Germany also did a conversion (hintermer-power) which was based on a 3door that is a posible root for you? Have a look at www.novacabrio.co.uk or www.projectspider.5u.com

Stuart
14-04-04, 11:20 PM
the "pro"ones look like death traps so a home made one would jsut be total death on wheels, and good luck to get it ready for this summer lol

2litreturbo
15-04-04, 12:56 AM
, and good luck to get it ready for this summer lol

where did i say it was going to be finished by the summer? I said i am starting in 6-8 weeks ready for the summer. i.e i wont be starting it UNTIL the summer.

Ste_Nova
15-04-04, 09:52 AM

the pilars are solid...

Pillars are just standard nova with no extra strength

we tryed feeding wires up them for the light up sunvisors.. we had no chance

2litreturbo
16-04-04, 02:36 AM
does anyone know of a spider for sale?

Ste_Nova
16-04-04, 09:27 AM
nope

novacabrio
17-04-04, 06:58 PM
Make me a silly offer and possibly! but no other that i know of!