PDA

View Full Version : Sound proofing

Nova_Tek
12-04-04, 10:06 PM
Just need some quick info.

Got a MKI Nova and have been noticing a lot of raod noise, echos when shutting doors and engine noise around the cabin.

I would like to make the car a bit more sound proofed so that I get less of these noises. And i suppose it could make the sound system sound a lil bit better once this is done.

Just need to know what I can do to reduce noice levels inside the cabin?i.e what materials and where?

Do I just stuff padding inside the hollow doors and under the carpet? or is it more complex?

Thanx

cooper_nova
12-04-04, 11:55 PM
if u don't mind the extra weight lead flashing(as in for house roofs) is a good way but it will weigh ur car done tho!
or u can get dynamat from ne good ice shop

novax
14-04-04, 04:56 PM
the bast thing for this is proped deadening pads, Dynomat cast to much. You need Tetrosyl for this, it's cheap, really plyable and sticks to anything. Any body panel supplier will stock it too.

Richyb
14-04-04, 05:06 PM
unfortunatley novas are tin cans but mine is pretty quite. most noise useally comes from rear so when i put a false mdf floor in the boot with the rest of my install it was much quieter but cus of me zorst you still cant hear my self think :D . If you can afford use dynamat behind your door cards and have another layer of carpet put in but it will cost u cus dynamate is v expensive and so is a talyored carpet. It will only slow u down and u will prob end up taking in all out again.

Nova_Tek
14-04-04, 07:10 PM
cheers lads,

this dynamat or proped deadening pads, do you glue them to the inside of body panels or do you just stuff em in cavities?

Im not gonna use lead coz my car is only 1.2 and i want it to move once its all done so sumfing light will be fine.

Would ordinary foam be any good?

Got sum lying around and they are very light.

Cheers

dathers
15-04-04, 09:57 AM
Foam just soaks up water and holds it,not good for rust.

Tetrosyl is cheap and light,it comes with a stick back,just peel and stick.
Dave

mikeyredtop
15-04-04, 10:24 AM
i was thinkin expanding foam, just a thought...

cooper_nova
15-04-04, 10:34 AM
i was thinkin expanding foam, just a thought...

expanding foam will b good for deadening cavities

Dave
15-04-04, 10:36 AM
if you use sound deadening stuff like dynamat or proped heat it up with a hairdryer before fitting it to your pannels will flex better and give you a better fit over bobbles and stuff

also if doin it to doors don't cover the drain holes!

Nova_Tek
15-04-04, 04:57 PM
Would dynamat and the proped stuff be ok in the doors?

Was just wondering as water passes inside the doors when its raining or in a wash I dont want it to soak in or stay there and damage the dynamat stuff, if your cathin my drift!

Thanx for all your recomendations