PDA

View Full Version : Mileage

Gunzi
10-04-04, 02:06 PM
I had a full engine rebuild and was wondering if this ment that I could reset the mileage on the dash??!

mikeyredtop
10-04-04, 02:09 PM
u can do what u want, i changed mine when i had a new engine... dont tell ppl how tho or this post will be locked

novashed
10-04-04, 02:14 PM
most people dont bother as it messes with all the MOT and servicing records you have. i clocked mine when i put a second hand engine so it read the milage of that. as long as you tell people when you sell what youve done i dont see a problem. thing is though it does give a dodgy impression because the car as a whole has done a set milage whereas its just the engine you wish to change it for, see where im coming from?

Gunzi
10-04-04, 02:24 PM
I had an MOT last week, so the old mileage will be recorded on that. Had to clock it once when I put the digi dash in as that came from a car with 25000 miles more than mine!
I'll have a think about it

novashed
10-04-04, 02:36 PM
to be honest when i buy a car of a nova age 10yr sort of thing, milage is not an issue, just genral condition and whether its burning oul etc, not that realiable guide, especially if there is no servive history with a car.

epo
10-04-04, 05:16 PM
to be honest when i buy a car of a nova age 10yr sort of thing, milage is not an issue, just genral condition and whether its burning oul etc, not that realiable guide, especially if there is no servive history with a car.

agreed same here mate

the only thing is mine was genuin service history when i boought it
but i thought bollox takin it to vauxhall to carry it on when im more than capeable of doin it myself and mine is serviced very regurly

Aragorn
12-04-04, 03:31 PM
err the mileage on the clocks has nothing to do with the engine

its the mileage of the vehicle as a whole - the rolling shell, not the components attached to it including the engine

if u baught EVERYTHING new and fully rebuilt it with GM parts you could probably apply for a NEW registration number and get it back to 0 miles - any other way would be illegal and be deemed clocking

epo
12-04-04, 08:43 PM
i thought it was only ilegal if when u sold the car u didnt declare it to the person buying it

Big Box
13-04-04, 03:31 PM
surely the act of actually clocking the car is the illegal part?

epo
15-04-04, 05:57 PM
didnt think so like i said as long as u declare it

it'll be a bit of a grey area like what happens if u change ur speedo 4 a new on my sri when i bought it had just had a new speedo but i got the origional one with it

Stuart
15-04-04, 06:01 PM
i ahem jsut adjusted a set of clocks back to zero. but i will not respond to questions asking how to do it.

its easy enough, learn yourself lol

ps dont do it, its naughty