PDA

View Full Version : turbo trouble

LET_SALOON
06-04-04, 12:06 PM
I have decided to dump my let engine as i didnt have enough feedback when it was for sale, i have decided to buy a 3.0ltr v6 engine and whack a bolt on turbo to it. i brought a new v6 engine from courtenay and they are putting the turbo on aswell.

question 1, will i need to re strenghten my engine bay

question 2, one of my wheel arches at the front is rottin, can i leave it or should it be repaired,

question 3, will my mini wheels that i recently put on it be ok or will i need bigger wheels.

question 4, does anybody know how much petrol this beast will use.

I HAVE LEFT A POLL, ALTHOUGH I HAVE PURCHASED THE ENGINE NOW IT WOULD BE NICE YOU SEE WHAT YOU ALL THINK

Regards

Grahame

Dpnova
06-04-04, 12:10 PM
Replace the front arch.

Jack
06-04-04, 12:36 PM
i'd have thought a V6 would work better with a supercharger than a turbo...

..and yeah, i'd recommend strengthening the whole car let alone just the engine bay!! :o

ydg27
06-04-04, 12:45 PM
are you being serious?????

LET_SALOON
06-04-04, 01:52 PM

of corse im being serious, the technical bits are easy, its just the bodywork im worried about, but thats the whole fun of having a mucky car, people dont expect u to drive past them at 0-60 in 4ish seconds

ydg27
06-04-04, 02:00 PM
jesus wept, tbh i think supercharging route would be better, instant boost, no lag, sound awesome, less hassle than turbos - or so i have been told.
definately strengthen the whole car the torque will be phenominal!

Will F
06-04-04, 02:04 PM
Tis a wind up.

Whats all this 'new' V6 engine nonsense! lol
That would be a bargain from Courtney! :lol:

I would try pram wheels on it mate, as the brakes wont fit behind your mini wheels. :roll:

LET_SALOON
06-04-04, 02:34 PM
NO its actually not a windup, i own a breakers in essex, a 2.5 v6 vectra came in, i removed the engine from this and sent it to courtenay to be swapped for a 3.0 v6 import.

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/default.htm?page=18

nearly ?4000 to be presice, but at the end of the race when i look behind and see you at the starting line i will be sayin this is a wind up

Rick Draper
06-04-04, 08:52 PM

of corse im being serious, the technical bits are easy, its just the bodywork im worried about, but thats the whole fun of having a mucky car, people dont expect u to drive past them at 0-60 in 4ish seconds

ROFLMFMO i have read some bollocks in my time but you take the piss. Rick

epo
06-04-04, 09:29 PM
surely if u had a 2.0 turbo in the engine bay will have being strenghtaned
before fittin

dan16v
06-04-04, 10:20 PM
:lol: 4SEC 0-60 ok then m8!! ud be lucky to see 7secs :lol: v6's are shite in novas!
turbo'ing a v6 and putting it in a nova yet you have to ask if it needs engine bay welding :lol:
shows its shite

Aragorn
07-04-04, 12:42 AM
i'd love to see where the turbo on the rear bank would go

maybe your gonna replace the in dash heater with the turbo sticking thru the firewall?

the chassis should already be welded for the let never mind the v6

:roll:

dont fart around on here looking for attention - if your gonna be sensible the fine but this is just shite

why swap a 200bhp let for a 3.0 v6 which iirc puts out about 190ish bhp and then attempt to turbo it

youve got the extra weight of the bigger engine to overcome along with the handling issues

XZiBiT
07-04-04, 06:45 AM
there are people on here that know more about novas than vauxhall ever could so why bulls**t mate 8)

LET_SALOON
07-04-04, 07:28 AM
WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK THIS IS A JOKE.. :evil: , THIS IS NOT A JOKE, I AM JUST TRYING TO ATTEMPT SOMETHING NOBODY HAS DONE BEFORE, I WISH I HAD NEVER ASKED FOR ANY BODYS ADVICE NOW. ANYBODY WHO DOES NOT BELIEVE ME I WILL GLADY PROVE IT ANYTIME ANYBODY IS IN THE ESSEX AREA, ALSO YOU NOTICE IN MY POST THAT IT SAIS R E S T R E N G T H E N , MY ENGINE BAY. I THOUGHT THIS WEBSITE WAS FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE HELPING HANDS AND ADVICE NOT MOAN AND GROAN JUST BECAUSE THEY KNOW MY CAR WILL BEAT ANYTHING AROUND

peester
07-04-04, 09:15 AM
don't worry mate. it's just that so much pap has been said before that it takes many a few goes to grasp if what someone with big big plans is saying is true. Ya can't expect us to believe everyone at first...
Show us some pics; and start steady; you wrote too much about beating this and beating that and 'facts' that i don't think have been mentioned before. Turbo-ing a V6 sounds crazy but no-one is gonna know jack about it on here as it ain't been done before. V6's are thought to be too heavy for a nova so only a couple of nutters have tried it in the past. Ur name is LET_saloon; u got an LET in ya nova already? whats up with that?

LET_SALOON
07-04-04, 09:53 AM
nothin is wrong with the let but its been done, i wanna try something different, v6s are very very heavy but, with enough strenghenin i think it will be ok, who cares if it rips my shell apart, i have 3 other nova shells already waiting in the yard to be ripped apart.

peester
07-04-04, 10:25 AM
lol; he who dares....?
no one on here can stop ya mate; just like i sed can't expect us all to have the opinions you want us to have.

Richyb
07-04-04, 10:54 AM
First of all I totally agreed with rick and dan

1) It all depends on how much power you want but if you are spending 1000?s on a engine and tuning then it is a bit of a stupid question. Strengthening/safety should come first in big hp cars.
2) Another ridiculous question, again if you are spending 1000?s on this project are you going to want it to look like a shed? If so then pram wheels would be good
3) Another extra daft stupid ridiculous question mini wheels!!!!!! I have never heard so much crap in my life, I will pay to c this car!! Can you imagine it at the shows with this engine sticking out of the bonnet with stupid mini 10-13inch wheels on with rotting arches lol.4) Fuel economy is based around performance my tuned 2lt turbo does 35 miles on ?10quid if you are using the revs.

I?m not being harsh mate but I do want you to prove me wrong and I can guarantee that this motor will not beat ricks, dans or mine in a race.

A few questions for me now please!:

1) How do you intend to do 0-60 in 4 seconds? A tuned evo/scooby prob around 400bhp mark with there 4 wheel drive train would be able to manage that but not a front wheel drive car no way
2) How long to you think your engine will last bearing in mind it was never designed to run any boost pressure? You will have oil leaks everywhere, and it will smoke like a chimney after a bit.
3) Have you got over 10k that you don?t mind spending on this project?
4) Why do you want a V6 turbo what is the point???? I?ve seen ppl get over 600bhp out of the 2lt 16v turbo lump there is now so much tuning kit available, why move to a V6?? The max power you could prob get would be 300bhp what do you think rick/dan?? You prob cudnt even get that. If you have got a lot of money and want to do something different and v fast try a 4x4 2lt turbo.

Unless you have tuned a turbo b4 you don?t realise the problems you will face

Jack
07-04-04, 11:03 AM
...altho if he does pull it off, it would be funny as feck to see people's faces at shows - see a standard looking nova there and go to have a laugh at it.... then see the engine :lol:

epo
07-04-04, 07:02 PM
just so u know LET SALOON

3.0 v6 has already bein done a few months back a lad put pics up of his standard lookin saloon with a 3.0 v6 altho it wasnt turbo'd or supercharged

if u look in profiels or skip back a few pages in gerneral chat am sure its there :!:

dan16v
07-04-04, 10:34 PM
as richy said it is hard work even getting a fwd car 0-60 below 6secs let alone 4 :lol: when you realy start building a 1/4mile car you realise how expensive it is to gain split seconds let alone whole ones :wink:

LET_SALOON
08-04-04, 05:56 PM
I have got enough money to build a 4wd nova. my saloon already is 4wd. Thats why i am hitting 5.3secs to 60. It has only been built for 2 months, as long asi have been on here. It has 225bhp, and its gone. I have a 3.0 V6 in my room and a T25, in my room. So please be prepared, and u will soon learn....

dan16v
08-04-04, 06:31 PM
go for it then m8!
dont think a T25 will be big enuff for you application tho! what car is it from or was it bought off the shelf?

LET_SALOON
08-04-04, 07:01 PM
What turbo would you recommend then Dan? I have been given a T25 from a customer of mine. I re-built it, i was going to add her onto my old XE 8 months ago. Then i jus found a cheap LET, now cheapish V6 ?4k.... yikes!!! :lol: Could I twin turbo the V6?

XZiBiT
09-04-04, 06:33 AM
twin turbo!!!!!! mate ya gonna have probs fitting 1 let alone too give up now and spend 3-4k on ya let you will gain more power taking that route m :| ate

Fester
09-04-04, 01:15 PM
This is obviously bullshit but on the slim chance that it isn't

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=134473

This is interesting to check out, could even PM the guy

dan16v
09-04-04, 01:49 PM
im on a garret T3 which will sensibly run 350hp there is a saph cosworth running 390bhp with one to (but its shit!) maybe a good place would be to look at importing one from the usa? they cater for the big bhp engines better than we do, and have loads of garret choices! youd just need to make your self a nice manifold to suit!

Richyb
09-04-04, 02:25 PM
im sorry mate but i do not believe you for 1 fine second, you have not got a clue what your talking about. i have spoke to courtney again and they have confirmed that they havent chatted with any1 about doing a turbo v6 conversion this yr.

Show every1 the pics of underneath your saloon.

Richyb
09-04-04, 02:29 PM
dont waste your breath on this 1 boys until he has given us pics of underneath. Can you twin turbo a V6 .....sure you can if u blueprint the bloody engine and invest another 10k! why dont you go on www.suprastore.com and get there triple turbo conversion for $33,000

what a crok of shit!

Aragorn
09-04-04, 06:48 PM
u could twin turbo a v6 certainly but not in a nova

the rear exhaust bank is sitting almost on the steering column as it is

unless u mounted it longitudinally, spaceframed the bay and run RWD then u might just get away with it

i doubt there would be enough room to fit a turbo between the front bank and rad as its tight enough with a LET in there

plus the vaux v6's have enough cooling issues without u turbocharging one

honda
09-04-04, 08:27 PM
i reckon that this is a nuts idea but it'll work , super charging would be better then turbo charging and may be you should consider a 4wd conversion to get the power down better .good luckcant wait to see the results. :D