PDA

View Full Version : HELP, MAJOR PROBS I THINK !!!

novajay
06-04-04, 09:43 AM
my steering is really light and easy to turn !!!
it aint diesel that ive been through, it aint the tracking that is fine !!!
when i hold the steering wheel straight it veers to the right, pretty badly !!!

any suggestions ??

Jack
06-04-04, 09:48 AM
have you checked for uneven/badly worn tyres? Has the car been lowered and what size wheels does it have? If it has been lowered, could be the camber is out

novajay
06-04-04, 10:06 AM
tried the tyres changed them yesterday to two brand new ones
aint lowered at all
standard 13 steelies

Jack
06-04-04, 10:11 AM
hmmm.... any signs of damage to suspension components? Is the steering column ok?

novajay
06-04-04, 10:13 AM
aint sure bout suspension or steering column :?
how do i check ??

Jack
06-04-04, 10:26 AM
steering column - with car parked just wobble the wheel and see how much free play you have, you should get a little but any more than 8th of a turn either way without wheels moving is bad...... suspension - check strut tops (where it bolts onto the bodywork) for wear and/or broken parts, also the dampers themselves for any signs of leakage or damage. Also the suspension arms under the car.

Could also be a wheel bearing - jack the car up and wobble the wheel side to side and top and bottom. If the wheel wobbles around the bearig is probably to blame. Whist you're there might be worth taking the wheel off and checking the brake discs and pads for any signs of uneven wear or damage.

rysmee
06-04-04, 07:16 PM
i think your worrying bout nothing.
you'd be supprised how after driving on worn and probably under pressure tyres, how easy and light it feels after getting new tyres that are well pumped up!
its a lovely feeling of having a nice easy car to drive.. but it soon goes away once u get used to it.

Jack
07-04-04, 09:06 AM

fair enough it could just be new tyres - but the fact he says this means something is amiss surely, new/pumped up tyres wouldn't make the car veer to one side badly...

Ste_Nova
07-04-04, 11:39 AM

any suggestions ??

don't hold the wheel straight!

~~joycey~~
08-04-04, 07:38 AM
true, is ur steering wheel bolted on straight? :lol: