PDA

View Full Version : Cams?

so1o
06-04-04, 07:29 AM
Im in a pickle at the moment on what to do, invest in my nova or buy some more parts.

Well whats the story on cams?

Following has been taken from the QED website.

Q42H
The mildest camshaft in our range; quite able to be fitted to standard engines without the need for further mechanical modifications. When used with a suitably modded ECU this cam helps produce 185 bhp. Also an easily fitted cam to use with carburrated engines, producing 190+ bhp.

Q38H
A more vigorous hydraulic profile not liked by Motronic ECU's, but if fuelled correctly, with a standard induction system can produce c200 bhp. With carbs or throttle bodies 210+bhp is easily achieved. Possible to fit without piston mods, but pistons with deeper valve pockets are required for optimum cam timing.

Ok from what i know which is very little im very sceptical that these can produce this much power with just DTA management. If i decide to for this im also going to buy a DTA E48XP. What else is needed to make the cams fit, any other mods?any downsides?price?will the engine still be as reliable?

Any other cams or mods that you can recommend for more power?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solo

NovaNeil
06-04-04, 12:35 PM
I take it you've got an XE? What has the engine already got on it? DTA isn't going to be cheap......

so1o
06-04-04, 04:28 PM
Sorry i forgot to mention it's an xe. Neil at the moment i dont really care how much it costs, i might buy a new car or throw a few thou at this current car so im just trying to weigh up my options.

Solo

NovaNeil
06-04-04, 07:20 PM
OK, well if money's no object and you want more power from your XE I would say the best option is a nice set of Throttle bodies... Either the 208 SB Developments kit About ?2000 for 200bhp or the QED kit ( ?1800) for about 180bhp or ?2000 for the same kit with cams for 190-200bhp. Both kits are bolt on apart from ARP rod bolts with the SBD kit... and the Cams with the QED kit.....

If thats too expensive, bolt on some nice Carbs... Not quite as much power on there own and not a reliable as TB's but cheaper.

If thats still too much money.... Then look a chipping it, enlarged throttle body, head work, BTB 4 branch... etc etc. I think to get the full benefit from CAMs you need at least a chip, if not other mods.

Hope this helps.... Of course theres lots more you could do and this is only a very basic outline of possible mods.

Neil

so1o
06-04-04, 08:48 PM
Thanks Neil. Someone actually recommended cams and a chip to me. DTA does that not replace the need of having a chip?

Anyone know of any prices for these cams and also what are the kent cams like?

Do cams give any real problems over the long run?

Power outlay as mentioned previously, is that correct as reported by QED?

Solo

Aragorn
07-04-04, 12:31 AM
the biggest prob with these engines is that if u want any substantial gain in cam lift u need to back off the duration cos the pistons are so close to the valves which ends up giving very little in performance gains

the best approach would be to ditch the stadnard injection and fit TB's - go with the sbd 208 kit - dont have to touch the head that way and the arp bolts make it all a bit safer for high revving

that way u still have the option of getting properly pocketed pistons, head work and some decent cams at a point in the future should u decide u want more power

so1o
07-04-04, 03:32 AM
Neil, Aragorn cheers, very helpful. :D

Solo