PDA

View Full Version : Nova Problems - It just cuts out

kitty_kitty
04-04-04, 08:19 PM
I've got a 1.2i Nova and in the past few weeks it just cuts out. Ive just done a 60 mile round trip and it did it 6/7 times. :o

When it happens the engine stops, all the dash lights come on and it jurks, it last about 1/2 seconds and then just starts again. It will do it at any speed, so when it does it and im travelling at 60mph it kinda scares me lol. :(

I'm not sure if the it could be either low on oil or needs an oil change, but I know about 1 1/2 months ago it had the spark plugs, caps and leads changed.

It's really annoying me, I want to take it for a full service soon but its getting the time to do it and the money.

Any advice would be grateful

Aragorn
04-04-04, 08:46 PM
check your gearbox earth strap and your battery to chassis earth strap

if these are fine then replace the fuel pump relay as they all could case similar issues

kitty_kitty
04-04-04, 09:03 PM
the battery i can check but the gearbox? im unsure what that is lol (im only a learner so i dont know much about my car :lol: )

Someone has said to me the pump/fuel tank so I think Im going to have to get someoen to take a look at it for me :( money :'(

te17@novasgonemad
04-04-04, 10:31 PM
it sounds like ur starter moter cutting in for a sec or two does it one me mums asra estate2ltr it s not an easthing to fix its caused by moiture on connections which makes them dirty best off gettin it checked

Aragorn
05-04-04, 12:08 AM
the fuel pump would just give out it wouldnt half work

the fuel pump relay could cause the problems mentioned tho

if u look on the right hand side of the engine bay there is a copper strap that runs between the chassis leg and the gearbox

these wear out and they are the only earth connection for the entire engine

if it always starts fine (no funny clicking) then i'd guess the fuel pump relay is to blame which is the little back box that sits on the bulk head just to the right of the battery

kitty_kitty
05-04-04, 01:30 PM
she has no problems starting.

how much would it cost if i buy a fuel pump reply and fit it myself?

Philsutton
05-04-04, 01:47 PM
it just pulls off, not hard to change. At the back of the engine on the bulk head. Little black box.

BurburyConrod
05-04-04, 10:00 PM
Check the coil mate that was what was wrong with my old scooter.

Jules
06-04-04, 12:23 AM
/me puts his money on the fuel pump relay.

Common problem with Nova's and not a bad idea to carry a spare one in the car.

If I remember correctly from when I had to change the one on my GSi they are about ?20 from Vauxhall dealers - which is expensive for a relay - but if it sorts it out then it's money well spent - maybe it's worth going to a breakers yard and getting one for a couple of quid first, if it solves the problem then go and get a new one (As the scrapyard one might not be much better than the one you currently have), if it doesn't then you've not lost a lot.

Worth a try - also a piece of cake to replace.