PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 16v or GSI or GTE?

chrisk
04-04-04, 04:37 PM
Hi all
Im wanting to go for a larger engine as I only have a 1.3sr at the mo..
If at all pos for the engines untuned would anyone happen to know the bhp of each and top speed and even the 0 -60
Its just Im only 19 at the mo with 3 points but need a bigger engine!
I cant seem to find a red top for sale at the right price..
Are there any mods required for the engine upgrades such as bigger fuel lines?
Thanks

Adam
04-04-04, 04:55 PM
Well for something like a 2.0 you will need bigger fuel lines(because of higher injection rate), an injection fuel tank/pump, different drive shafts/cv boots(some cav ones fit), and you can take some 22spline drive shafts off a GTE. The engine mounts from somewhere like www.valvers.com
The engine bay will need to be completely strengthened, a F20 gearbox for a 2.0.
So there are quite a lot of things you need, obviously including the engine with all the wiring/ecu/exhuast system etc.

There are usually some redtops for sale on Mig, i have seen a complete engine(wiring/ecu/gearbox/driveshafts/manifold etc) for around ?400.
And don't forget that you fuel consumption will shoot up, costing a lot more to run.

The GTE/GSI engine transplant is a lot easier to do,and still provides better performance than the 1.3SR, but if i was going to do an engine transplant, and had the money etc i would deffo go for the 2.0 16v.

Gunzi
07-04-04, 02:34 PM
If you put the XE engine in the car will not handle as well as if you fitted the GTE / GSi engine since its a big block, it depends whether you want to go fast in a straight line or enjoy the handling?
I chose handling and tuned the 1.6

Gunzi
07-04-04, 02:35 PM
bollocks, bloody duplicate!

Richyb
07-04-04, 03:17 PM
it will cost you a fortune to insurse it mate....im 20 and insure my 2 litre turbo nova for 1800 fully comp with agreed value of 12k, i have an sp30 also 1yrs ncb. the only reason i get it this cheap is because i used to work for that underwriter. They will insure a 19yr old on a 2lt 16v with 0 ncb third party fire and theft but it will cost u about 2500. if u go for the 2lt 16v u will always regret it a yr down the line and wish u had a turbo. I started off with a 1.4sr 72bhp, then tuned that up to 112bhp using webers,cam and head work spent about 1200quid. then i had my 2lt 16v....i had loads of problems with mine and it must have ended up costing nearly over 5k but i did have it on the rollers at 170bhp. then i had my 2lt 16v turbo it was 259 before we went stupid on it . i get it back in a week or to with 320-330 412.8bhp wiv nitrous. i've had my nova since i was 17 and spent a fucking shit load i on it time and money!

only do it if u are absoulty certain

Alex
07-04-04, 03:52 PM
my 2 litre turbo nova with agreed value of 12k

:o

Richyb
07-04-04, 04:10 PM
mate if u think that is alot then i would give you a heart attack if i sed that over the yrs that i have had it i must have spent 25-30 on 4 differnt engines, body kits, wheels ,audio!