PDA

View Full Version : Subs and Amp wiring

thesphinx2
03-04-04, 08:30 PM
Hi all.

I am looking to buy 2 10" subs and a mono amp to power them both. I however want to make sure that I buy the correct ones, and would like to clear up a few things i'm not totally sure on.

The subs i'm looking to buy are the Infinity Perfect 10VQ ones, which in the specification say that the impedance is single voice coil 4 ohm, with an RMS power of 400 watts.

Then to power them I was thinking of the Alpine MRDM500 mono amp, and the specification for that is:
? 400W x 1 RMS [2Ohm @12V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]
? 200W x 1 RMS [4Ohm @12V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]

So my question is if wired in the way the image shows:

http://images.cardomain.com/sites/sounddomain/shop/woofer_wizard/2_4ohm_svc.gif

Which I think is parallel, would that technically power the subs both to their full potential exactly, or would they need more power, or could I even go for a lower wattage amp to save money?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

cooper_nova
04-04-04, 01:59 AM
to start wiv if u subs r rated at 400w each ull want a min of 600w amp to power it idealy a 800w if u can( it will sound better if the subs get their full quota of wattage also too low a wattage and the subs will distort)

i wud go 4 a 2x400w amp and wire them seperatly tbh

u can do it in parrale but the subs then have to share the wattage between them ( eg they will both get 1/2 the output of the rating of the amp in bridged mode)

hope this helps ya fella