PDA

View Full Version : What does adjusting the co level on my gsi do?

dunova
02-04-04, 10:36 PM
I've been playing about with the co levels on my gsi by adjusting it on the afm-If i give it more it runs abit more 'lumpy' and seems under-fueled when decelerating but feels abit quicker. And if i lower the levels it runs smoother but seems abit slower. Anyone know anything about it?

Aragorn
02-04-04, 11:49 PM
its there to fine tune the fuel mix to take into account engine age and condition

u will now need to take it back to a garage with a co-meter and make sure its within spec

cooper_nova
03-04-04, 02:29 AM
if the co is too high it will fail an mot

MechaT
04-04-04, 01:35 AM
Didin't know you could adjust CO on MPI. But don't without a gas tester. CO level is directly affected by the fuel mixture. If it's too rich or lean you'll damage your engine

dunova
04-04-04, 12:32 PM
So if i alter it so it runs abit quicker but lumpier then it wont be doing the engine any good?

cooper_nova
04-04-04, 04:12 PM
So if i alter it so it runs abit quicker but lumpier then it wont be doing the engine any good?

if it's running too rich u'll cake the head and valves with carbon causing a lack of power and also the combustion chamber will have reduced in size slightly too!

if it's running too lean u'll burn the valves and cause wear on the valve stems causing them to weaken and eventually over enough time so break

Aragorn
04-04-04, 08:26 PM
rich running will also cause borewash which if u dont keep the oil fresh will eventaully kill the big ends and wear the bores to fcuk

u NEED to take the car to an MOT station and get the CO reset to the correct value - which iirc is about 0.5%

the reason its adjustable is cos the E16SE had no lambda probe

dunova
05-04-04, 06:54 PM
Got it to a garage and had it set right but it still needs to go on an engine analysis machine coz its running REALLY rich now i've got a k&n, 4-branch+system and modded the afm and throttle body-Its drinking the petrol!

cooper_nova
05-04-04, 07:43 PM
oh yes tb's like to drink more than an alcholholic(spelling)!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: