PDA

View Full Version : Need to fix the Horn

Tazzy
01-04-04, 11:28 PM
four days before the mot, i spent ?75 on a sterring wheel and a boss, only problem, i couldnt fit the horn, that was a few months ago, and the mehanic did pass the car off as long as i got the horn sorted!

well the car is going back to the garage soon to have the trakcing done and i still aint managed to fix the horn, reason? im thick as s*** when it comes to car electrics!

ive just had a quick look on the net for any guides, but aint found anything, i need it done as today, a couple of gormless pr!cks decided to pull out in front on my path, including a huge fack off truck, how do i fix the horn?

on the factory wheel, it had to wires, but both were connected to the wheel which wont come off, so i cant put them on the sports wheel!

cheerz!

dave.gsi
01-04-04, 11:39 PM
i also have no horn.

how god damn annoying is it when someone pulls out on you and you cant give them a big fat BEEEEEEEEEP :lol:

Tazzy
02-04-04, 01:11 AM
its very annoying, theres loads of tvvats in brum, and i cant throw abuse at them, its not fair!

AnThoNYnOvA
02-04-04, 01:32 AM
use the french salute then

Neil.
02-04-04, 01:44 AM
simple really, you wont be able to have it to your push botton in steering wheel as if u were put a wire to it everytime u spun the wheel the wire would get caught in the wheel coz of friction.

Take off the black shroud round the steering coloum, ull see a brass thick needle, this is the thing that the old steering wheel had constant contact with on your old wheel, the brass cirlce on the back of it.

Now get the RED wire that goes to the brass needle, and take the wire by adding another wire to it to a switch, i used a small square black press switch from maplins(30p or summot), so it only ocmes on when u press it, so u dont have to flick in on off.

Then from the other end of the switch run it to ANY earth wire or point, mainly BROWN wires.

Hope this helps mate.

Neil.
02-04-04, 01:53 AM
oh and ive just heard the brass RING on the bottom of you old horn does come off.

novajay
02-04-04, 09:12 AM
the brass ring from the old horn does come off but it dont fit to the new boss !!!
the boss should have a contact plate on the bottom of it and should already have a live wire attatched !!!
with the boss should also have came a seperate contact plate ( a circle thing made of metal with a male spade terminal attatched to it ), this sits in between the steering wheel and the new boss.
now on the horn push button that came with the steering wheel attatch the live wire from the bottom of the boss, and attatch a piece of earth wire from the second terminal on the horn push to the free spade terminal on the contact ring !!!

hope this all makes sense !!!

and if this dont work then it will probably be the contact plates inside the steering rack which costs ?75 to buy and fit !!!

the latter happened to me !!! :(

Gazza14SR
02-04-04, 10:39 AM
i bought a air horn for 20 bucks, and had the switch fitted just above where the fuse box is. Once the pump ran out i took my original horn off and switched the wires from the pump to my original horn and mounted it on the wing. Works fine :D