PDA

View Full Version : not starting any more

m.d.
31-03-04, 11:07 AM
i was driving arround in my car the other day after adjusting the timing on the vernier pully as it has been pinking lately. it started lovely and was running fine (apart from idling as i still cant get it to)
i stopped to talk to some friends and it wouldent start. was just turning over and eventually killed the battory. i gadent changed anything from the last time it started. we tried some jump leads but still no go. in the end we tried bump starting it and it went streaght away!!!!! i cant work out why it wont start from the starter motor turing the engine over but can be bumped. any ideas.

Jack
31-03-04, 11:14 AM
u say its not idling well.... Carb could be knackered? Flooding the carb would stop it from starting... even if you were trying to jump it.

m.d.
31-03-04, 12:11 PM
carbs are fully reconditioned dellorto DHLA 45s
yeah it is running a bit rich but i dont normally have any problems starting it. i was thinking that it may be because its not as far advanced it may have oiled the plugs or something.

it still bump starts!!!!

also ive had an idea that it amy be a bad earth but im not sure :?:

Jack
31-03-04, 12:23 PM
also ive had an idea that it amy be a bad earth but im not sure

that's a thought... my mate had severe problems starting his car, we changed the alternator and put a new, bigger earth strap on it and its been fine ever since...

m.d.
31-03-04, 01:09 PM
hmm i just remombered that i never scraped any paint off the chassis where i put my new earth strap after the repaint

Jester
31-03-04, 02:04 PM
Sounds like you have just solved your problem :-)

m.d.
01-04-04, 09:46 AM
yup put a new earth strap on and cleaned off all the paint and there it goes. starts better than it ever has before