PDA

View Full Version : turbo?

novalew
30-03-04, 06:16 PM
i know you cant put a turbs on carbs but can u put an injection engine in a carb nova and whats the smallest lump i could turbocharge?

Snowface
30-03-04, 06:43 PM
the 1.4 16v engine form a corsa would be an awesome little beast if it was turbo'd. Probably around 130bhp fairly easyily.

U can turbo a 1.0 if u really wanted to, cost a lot to do.

the 1.6 8v is a good engine to 'add' a turbo to.

MechaT
31-03-04, 12:38 AM
You can turbo carbs. But they have to be specially made for turbo applications. A book I'm reading mentions modifying a carb but not how. I'd be interested to know

novalew
03-04-04, 07:12 PM
is this true you can turbo a carb????

and how much would it cost to put a 2.0 ltr turbs in my nova 1.2 carb???

How much work??

Euan
03-04-04, 07:16 PM
metro turbos had a carb i think

novalew
03-04-04, 07:18 PM
that gives me an interesting idea??

mmmmmm :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

novalew
03-04-04, 07:21 PM
does anyone no more?????

Adam
03-04-04, 07:22 PM
Yes they do mate, metro turbos use a carbed engine

novalew
03-04-04, 07:26 PM
its true you can turbo carbs just not sure the exact technical on it. when i find out i will post it as im sure lots of u will be interested

Chris_W
03-04-04, 08:26 PM
The reason the carbs need to be modified is because when the fuel is in the bowl, if the turbo comes on boost it blows all the petrol out of the bowl, and out of any gap in can find, eg the spindles the butterfly's mount on. The modifications needed are to dismantle the carb and have it machined to accept extra seals to stop the petrol leaking out, these go on the butterfly spindles and a few other places. You still have the problem of the bowl being emtpy though, the fix for this is to install whats called modulator rings to the entrance of the carb, these slow down the speed of the air entering the carb, creating a disturbance that means the air doesn't empty the fuel bowl. All this is just what I can remember from a turbo book I've got upstairs, so may not be 100%. Your best bet if you want to try and do a budget turbo conversion on a carbed engine would be to use a Metro Turbo setup, or the R5GTT setup. If you get really lucky, and track down and early Lotus Espirit, these were turbo'd using specially modified twin 40s from Dellorto, so these would mount straight onto a nova with the relevant inlet. Search for the old turbo post, as I think we've covered this in more depth before.

Chris

MechaT
04-04-04, 01:04 AM
Cheers Chris. I had the idea of adapting a 5GTT carb to fit. Might try it sometime when I can spare some cash.

Metro turbo would be "easy" but donor are rare and all the crappy minis want 'em too.

Snowface
04-04-04, 09:02 AM
is this true you can turbo a carb????

and how much would it cost to put a 2.0 ltr turbs in my nova 1.2 carb???

How much work??

we are talking about putting a turbo onto an actual carburettor.

To put a 2.0 turbo (C20LET) into your 1.2 is fairly easy compared to this.