PDA

View Full Version : filling indicator holes on wings

LiD0N
29-03-04, 08:27 PM
ok i got my new wings today... i thought i would have a go at filling the indicator holes... after several coats of filler and loads of sanding u can still notice them.. im no expert filler any 1 got any tips? im using p38 filler...

Zak16v
29-03-04, 08:38 PM
Did u weld plates behind the hole first (obviously) ?

Adam
29-03-04, 08:57 PM
That is really the crucial part, you must put something behing the hole for the filler to set against, the filler won't fill the hole if nothing is supporting it.
If you ain't got a welder or don't know anyway that has you could try glueing a piece of metal in place, with like that hot glue stick stuff, that should hold the piece of metal, which you then just filler over.

novalew
29-03-04, 09:11 PM
2p coin is always a good shape

MechaT
29-03-04, 09:31 PM
And after you've done what the others said. Fraid its just lots of time and effort. Use 1200 grade wet and dry paper, wet, on a flat block. Takes practice.

Ben
30-03-04, 12:13 AM
Or buy some cheaper wings wich havent got the holes pre drilled :wink:

badnova
30-03-04, 12:18 AM
i use fibreglass to fill the holes and then just put filler over the top
easy to do
also dent in the edges of the hole so the filler will smooth in to the bodywork better than having the edges stcking out slightly

novashed
30-03-04, 03:25 AM
you need to tack a plate behind with a welder, then grind off the edge of the indicator hole to leave a taper, then itll be easier to smooth it off as it can be feathered out with 800 grit on a block.

badnova
30-03-04, 03:26 AM
you got what i mean

LiD0N
30-03-04, 03:32 AM
i put some mesh over the back if the hole and covered it with filler to hold it on will that be ok?

badnova
30-03-04, 03:34 AM
should be as .long as the mesh is sucure

novashed
30-03-04, 03:34 AM
bit flimsy really, could crack after a few months. im talking from experience here. have filled many things. like the wiper hole on my car. its the only thing letting the paint job down as it has sunka little and you can see the ring, should have welded a plate there and used as little filler as poss., was being lazy that day!!

XZiBiT
30-03-04, 04:49 PM
And after you've done what the others said. Fraid its just lots of time and effort. Use 1200 grade wet and dry paper, wet, on a flat block. Takes practice.

WTF :? never ever under any circumstances use wet sand paper when using filler the filler absorbs the water (looks dry but IT AINT ) 6 months to a year later the paint will bubble up when the moister gets out and then you will really notice it use wet and dry...BUT DRY