PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i into 1.2 carb

nova_172
28-03-04, 09:45 PM
i hav a 1.2 injection, (slow)i need to know if it is possible to get a 1.2 carb and inlet manifold and jus swap it ova, also will this get rid of the lamba sensor. thanks

mowgli
28-03-04, 10:09 PM
WHY????????????????????

you would need to remove about ten years of technological development, & the fuel + exhaust systems

Aragorn
28-03-04, 10:10 PM
its not a direct fit so will be a good bit of fiddling to make it work

i would recommend keeping the existing injection system - its much better than the carb thats fitted to 1.2's but has had other things done to it to make it more restrictive - namely a shitty cylinder head, shite camshaft and a cat

i'd start by swapping the exhaust for an SRi manifold, GTE downpipe and GTE system (either standard or aftermarket - ashley do a streight thru system for ?90ish)

this removes the cat and gets rid of the restricitve exaust manifold while keeping the lambda probe the engine needs

the next step would be swapping the camshaft for a 1.4 sr item and the cylinder head for a 1.2 carb one

you'll prolly be looking at 60ish bhp with that lot if not a bit more :)

nova_172
28-03-04, 10:11 PM
well the 1.2i's are slow, and the car came with a 4 branch manifold on it with the lamba sensor jus disconnected so it runs shit, so i'd rather keep the manifold and jsu convert it if possible.

nova_172
28-03-04, 10:14 PM
thanks mate thats all i need to know, now i need 2 get rid of my manifold or cud i drill it and tap it 2 take the lamba sensor, even tho it wud be alot further down than the orginal manifold

Aragorn
28-03-04, 10:25 PM
ok what u'll need to do is get a nut welded onto it to take the lambda but you'll NEED a heated lambda sensor from a newer car

u need a 3-wire zirconia sensor - if u ask for one of those at your local motorfactors it should only be 30-40 quid tops and will make it run much better

you will need to supply the heater circuit on the lambda a ignition switched 12v feed and a ground

you'll wanna ditch the cat and fit a decent streight thru system - the ashley one i mentioned is a good start

nova_172
28-03-04, 10:51 PM
thanks 4 all the help mate,can i use the old sensor or wont it work than
ks

Snowface
29-03-04, 06:52 PM
look here at another post http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90433

Carb'd engines are generally easier to tune. U can fit weber's very easily and also play with the fueling easier and cheaper.

Aragorn
29-03-04, 10:41 PM
the standard probe isnt heated

this means that if u placed it in the collector of the 4 branch its not gonna get hot enough to function correctly