PDA

View Full Version : 1.2injection????????

Adam
27-03-04, 10:54 PM
As anybody got a 1.2i(single point injection) on here, what are they like in terms of performance. Being only about 45bhp, are they worth buying because of the low insurance,group 3. I am looking for a first car.
Or would it be worth it to get either a 1.4SR or 1.4SRI for a couple of hundred more on insurance???????

Finally, how tuneable are the 1.2i, i know you can add a performance exhaust and remove the cat, induction kit. What else is possible, could you swap stuff like downpipe/exhaust from summit like a GSI/GTE, and a different head and cam again from summit like a GSI. Can the injection system be swapped for a multipoint version?????
Or would it just be worth while replacing the engine to a 1.4SRI etc.

Any help is appreciated guys!!!!!!

Neil.
27-03-04, 11:40 PM
they are ok, but for the sake of extra couplke hundred id go for 1.4's as they can be tuned better and have better outcomes.

MechaT
27-03-04, 11:50 PM
Single point injection's for shopping trolleys. Even 1.2 carb is more powerful. Get a 1.3SR They're still cheap to insure and actually worth tuning. Cost me ?540 with 1 year NCB last year when I was 21.

Philsutton
28-03-04, 11:02 AM
the 1.2i isnt very tunable, i'd go for a sr as they can be tuned better.

Adam
28-03-04, 07:54 PM
So i am thinking a 1.3SR, but they are so rare nowadays, and i think the mark2 front end looks better than the mark1, so that is also a minor problem. i can't remember the last time i saw one on the road, see plenty of 1.4SR/1.4SRI/1.2i, probably because they are newer models. But the 1.3SR is a great buy both for insurance and performance.

Aragorn
28-03-04, 08:21 PM
the 1.2is are only slower cos they were designed to be more economical

they just about match the 1.2 carb on torque however

the best way to tune them is to remove all the restrictions

the cam is shite - get a 1.4 sr item in there
exhaust is shite and got a cat in there - fit a 1.4SRi manifold and a GTE downpipe and system
that would bring it close to 1.2 carb spec
and if u wanna take it a bit further u could fit a 1.2 carb head which would most likely exceed the carb power as long as u matched the manifolds up right :)