PDA

View Full Version : Boosting performance?

OldSchool
27-03-04, 06:43 PM
Hey all, got me a beast of a machine - 1984 2 door saloon, and its in the most fanciest of colours - silver! Woo!

Yeah umm... the "beast" gets up to about 105mph on the speedo, which ain't too bad to be honest, even if you allow for the 10% differential with these old things - but I was wondering what would be the first things to start with on going about increasing the performance.

I don't know a lot about cars, and I'm planning on this Nova to be my first "learning project". If anyone has any advice on what I should get to grips with first. Anything to remove, or specifically a "must buy" etc - all help will be greatly appreciated.

dathers
27-03-04, 08:55 PM
Same as any car really,K+N air filter and decent exhaust.
But id say this to anybody,the only really cost effective of getting lots of extra power is to put a bigger engine in it!
You could bung a nova gte/gsi engine in for 100bhp as standard,and theese engines can be had really cheap nowadays,like ?100 or less,and are more or less a straight swap.
One of the most popular engine conversions which i myself have done,is to put a 2ltr 16v engine from an astra gte 16v/gsi,cav Gsi,cali 16v.
Theese give 150bhp as standard with bucket loads of torque,this engine makes a nova a real BEAST as you put it!
You can play with alot of very expensive cars with this engine,even playing with cossies and the like on a dry day when you can get traction.
This isnt a straight swap like the nova gte engine as different engine mounts are needed and the exhaust has to be welded to suit,but its well worth the effort.
Unless insurance is a problem tuning small CC engines is a waste of money,especially the 1ltr engines!!
If insurance is an issue a good choice would be a nova 1.4 sri engine,which is again a straight swap just a bit of wiring needs to be done as the sri loom is integrated with the nova loom,not a problem though just takes a few hours to do properly,this engine is a 1.4 8v multi point injection putting out around 80 bhp,which is quite lively in a nova,especially when compared with a 1ltr which are less than 50 bhp...lol
Dave

Aragorn
28-03-04, 07:57 PM
ill give u some inspiration:

http://www.kevingalloway.demon.co.uk/car1.JPG

http://www.kevingalloway.demon.co.uk/engine.jpg

thats mine - still a work in progress tho :)