PDA

View Full Version : How do i reduce Torque Steer ????

Slatter
27-03-04, 11:41 AM
Since ive had valver in my car .... i get scared driving it lol

As soon as engine hits 3/4 k the car is all over the place if im accelerating hard. I can hold the steerign wheel tight and straight and im still all over the place! Its getting to me now because i have to concentrate so much when im driving it.

So anyone got any ideas at all ???? i was told about making the engine sit in a different position ... but that seems too much work!

Thanks in advance Slatter

burgo
27-03-04, 11:45 AM
theres a company that does a kit for minis which allows u to use same length driveshafts so pretty much eliminating torque steer ill try and find out who it is as they might do one for novas thats the only thing i can think of

TUBZGSXR
27-03-04, 01:30 PM
well ive just changed my tyres to 195/45 from 195 50 an theres hardly any torque steer now, an lsd is sposed to help at bit, coilovers maybe?

Stuart
27-03-04, 02:03 PM
take the valver out and put a small block in lol

the lower tie bar mount seemed to help chris t's car.

Slatter
27-03-04, 05:34 PM
Im running 195 45 16's and coilovers

I think the lowered tie bar mounts might have to be tried out

Just dont live overtaking things at moment cos 1 mo be in verge (wrong side of road :o ) and next 1 inch away from them !!!

Chris
27-03-04, 07:18 PM
It might be worth checking all your bushes are in a serviceable state as this would create Torque Steer. I have never had a problem apart from second gear, not really in first cos it just spins, but if you put the power on nice and smooth its ok. Hope this helps

Chris

dathers
27-03-04, 08:34 PM
On my XE'd nova ive recently changed tyres from 195/50/15's to 185/55/15's and the difference is amazing.
It handles so much better,the steering is much improved,the torque steer isnt eliminated but is much better,you will never get rid of the torque steer completely in such a small car with powerful engine.
And surprisingly it seems to grip much better even though the tyres are thinner,i can do a standing start a fair bit quicker than before.
I got a good deal from quick fit as well,if you got 4 pirelli tyres you got 40% off,which worked out cheaper than there cheapest tyre,so i got 4 pirelli P6000's 185/55/15.
Also what suspension are you running on the front,going too low can upset things,any lower than -40(ish)is asking for trouble.Ive recently fitted a set of courtnay sport front springs specially rated for XE novas,only ?53 and they made a hell of a difference(with G-max front shox and bilstein rears with -30 rear springs,no more bouncy front end!
And get the car on a proper four wheel laser alignment rig,(not a quick fit job!)they'll set the tracking and it will tell you if other things are out,and allthough there is no specific inbuilt adjustments for alot of the setting on a nova there are ways around it but not dead easy.
Tyre pressures is another thing to play around with.
Dave

Aragorn
28-03-04, 07:53 PM
did u change brand of tires dathers?

the compound could make more of a difference than the actual size...

i jsut switched from a set of BFGoodrich ProfilerG's on the front to a set of part worn dunlop SP2040's i got cheap and the dunlops suck in comparison

i get much worse torque steer coming off bends etc now and car pulls all over the place under heavy accelleration in 1st and 2nd and is quite scary in the wet