PDA

View Full Version : Nova's Most easiest failures for MOT..

Neil.
27-03-04, 12:53 AM
Does anyone have a list of things i could check for MOT so i could get them ready for the MOT so he doesn't fail it for something i could of checked myself.

Neil

LiD0N
27-03-04, 12:59 AM
look in haynes manual tells you in there

Neil.
27-03-04, 01:05 AM
yeah i know but just wondered if anyone could give me a quick list of some things that people have encountered and not realised?

mikeoxford
27-03-04, 01:06 AM
no door handles on your passenger door could be a problem if there picky.

you have clear clusters

so you may not have a fog lamp?

and i know for a fact youve got no reflectors

thats all i can think of

Neil.
27-03-04, 01:12 AM
clear cluster are no prob, got fog lamp in them, got refectors in the car, will use some light double sided sticky pads and losely stick them on for MOT.

Passenger door no handle dont matter becoz i have drivers handle to access car with.

mikeoxford
27-03-04, 01:16 AM
clear cluster are no prob, got fog lamp in them, got refectors in the car, will use some light double sided sticky pads and losely stick them on for MOT.

Passenger door no handle dont matter becoz i have drivers handle to access car with.

depends on MOT station

if the bloke is picky enough he could say what if your car rolls over and ends up on the drivers door.......

passenger door cant be opened........

Neil.
27-03-04, 01:40 AM
well i gotta find a MOT test place that'll be ok about me having no side indicators anyway, but u can see the sides of the front MK2 indicators anyway.

~~joycey~~
27-03-04, 03:36 AM
i thought it was only a fail if something was on the car and did'nt work, but if it was'nt there altogether then there was no problem???

epo
27-03-04, 08:27 AM
just do general things like make sure ur single wiper if uve got one isnt parked upwards
make sure all lights are workin
no exhaust blowin
all seat belts are in good condition
mine passed two years on the trot with non E marked clear rears
if urs fails on no side repeaters just fit some in a spare pair of wing
mirrors

burgo
27-03-04, 11:39 AM
joycey ur rite if uve got side repeaters they have to work but it dont matter if u aint got em like if ur spare wheel is illegal take it out for the mot then put it in after

karl Rowntree
27-03-04, 12:19 PM
Your car could 'possibly' fail without side repeaters as mine did. I believe if your car is made before 86 you are not required to have them, but 87 on and you do.

As mike said depends on the mot station. Second place i went to passed it! but then picked up on other bits. I havnt found a decent mot station yet that is willing to let certain things go. Nothing on my car is dangerous but because of what it is they normally go out of there way to find faults.

dan_mk1
27-03-04, 12:41 PM
its hard to find 'good' MOT'ers, i took mine in last year and he failed it on stupid niggle things, my dad took it in the next day (been going there 30 odd years) and he passed it

Ste_Nova
27-03-04, 12:51 PM
i just put it in for mot.... let it fail then fix the faults.... cause they never pass first time

krobinson
27-03-04, 12:52 PM
Mine passed with no side repeaters, and single wiper. But i know of car's that have failed for both!

Must depend on the MOT station!

Keith

Stuart
27-03-04, 01:53 PM
over the past 3 years the only thing ive had to sort out was the front number plate was delaminating.

and got an advisory for last one for the top sus mount worn. hmm sod that

any plates etc welded on in structural places must have a complete seam round it etc blah blah

and help the MOT'er as they like that

jim sri
27-03-04, 03:31 PM
i took my completely rebuilt LET nova for an MOT at a garage in the middle of nowhere, proper rural place, they said 'dont get many of these round here', but i was happy when all it needed was a rear brake light bulb!! my old valver looked mint, but that failed on a rot-hole the size of a 2p coin behind the rear suspension strut (nr the bottom), apparently this is a common place for them to go, easy enough fix though...
as mentonjed above, just go through all of the usual checks, haynes explains these fairly well.

Ste_Nova
27-03-04, 04:40 PM
I havnt found a decent mot station yet that is willing to let certain things go. .

mine check the brakes and steering then pass it..... :lol:

elsey197
27-03-04, 05:54 PM
mine failed last month on silly things,

- headlight alignment
- no side repeaters ( bought some sticky on ones from motor world and stuck em on the wing above the bumper and ran the wires round into the arch and into the engine bay, they looked shit but have taken them off now lol?)
- front brakes unbalanced
- dodgy looking brake flexihose

all easily sorted though

epo
27-03-04, 06:22 PM
theres a decent one near me altho they refused r kid because they said his skirts made the car to low and they were worried they'd get ripped off

and theres a really good one in grimsby next to the max'd car club garage

Gazza14SR
27-03-04, 08:04 PM
mine failed yesterday:

side repeater bulb out,
track rod end had play
no number plate light at rear
single wiper no giving enough coverage
No reflector on clear rears.

All sorted today and passed, The windscreen wiper just needed alittle adjusting and covers from the tax disc to the oppposite side.
Bodged some lights on the plate just to get it through the mot but gonna sort something better out for it.
Track rod end was the most expensive part.

Not bad though really as the last 2 have been pretty expensive.

Neil.
27-03-04, 11:29 PM
u sent it without a numberplate? or did u know it'd fail on other stuff?

Hope mine aint too bad.

Ste_Nova
27-03-04, 11:32 PM
track rod end had play

?7 :roll:

Ben
28-03-04, 12:02 PM
I know of about 3-4 decent MOT stations that prefer to pass cars than fail them, i would never take my car to a garage wich is part of a national chain, always go to privately owned ones.

The red 2.0l we bought had a fail sheet with over ?650 worth of work, me and a friend done it for ?80.

scottn
28-03-04, 12:45 PM
cars made 1990 onwards require side repeaters[/quote]

Gazza14SR
29-03-04, 01:48 AM
u sent it without a numberplate?

There was a number plate on it, just not a light.

Ste,

?7? I had a new track rod end and wheel bearing at the same time, then had to have tracking done which came to ?47.98, wish it was ?7 though :)

rachaelrebekah
29-03-04, 11:20 AM
theres a decent one near me

which ones that epo just for future use??

mine off into crosby motor engineers on wednesday for mot and service!!

Dpnova
29-03-04, 11:25 AM
mate does mine :wink:

Euan
29-03-04, 03:48 PM
mine will be getting done by a mate :)

Jon_nova1
29-03-04, 04:12 PM
i noticed rust behind the front wheels just behind the arch if there stabby thing goes through it, it will fail

epo
29-03-04, 07:45 PM
theres a decent one near me

which ones that epo just for future use??

mine off into crosby motor engineers on wednesday for mot and service!!

moorewell services near planges old place and where jims evo went to

also theres one at grimsby near the max'd car club garage