PDA

View Full Version : Engine troubles

Aragorn
25-03-04, 05:27 PM
im looking for some pointers for my injection system on my nova

basically ive got a 1400SR block with a 1600GTE head and injection system fitted

the engine runs great but ive got a few niggles i wanna sort..

the main one is that it appears to be running rich when its out of idle

idle is ~1-2%CO but if i rev it to around 3k and hold it there with no load the CO climbs to 4-5%

i had originally thaught that the engine would be fine due to it being AFM controlled - ie less air means less fuel but i guess the 1600 is slightly more efficient hence the difference

i was thinking about fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in place of the original and turning the fuel pressure down slightly then re-adjusting the idle setting - do u think this would work? if so what would be the best kinda regulator to buy :)

second issue is what i think would be described as "racing" possibly due to an over advanced ignition - if i crack the throttle open slightly the revs sloowly start climbing and keep climbing till 3k - close the throttle a teeny bit and it instantly drops back to idle - there is no way to hold any revs between 1 and 3k at idle and this also makes it very lumpy to drive at slow speeds

third issue is recent and possibly caused by the rich running - few weeks back i was in petrol station when i heard a strange ticking from engine - almost like a sticking lifter - i checked the oil (its done about 3k on it) and it was dark/black and smelled of fuel a bitty (ie signs of overfuelling) and was slightly low - i topped it up and the ticking went away

ive not done an oil change yet (its REALLY desperate for one looking at the oil) and last night i was sitting in the drive thru at the local maccies when i heard a really loud ticking from engine which increased perfectly in time with rpms - checking the oil level showed it to be VERY low so i went and got a bottle of oil and shoved it in - noise remained so i drove it home carefully - this morning it was gone but has slowly reappeared as the day's gone on :confused: and now seems to come and go with revs - could this be a sticking lifter? or somthing else?

hope someone can help get this sorted

Kevin

mikeyredtop
25-03-04, 06:45 PM
i think its ur lifters yes, there is an adjustment screw on both the trottle body and airflow meter to alter idle and fuel mixture...

Nick
25-03-04, 10:14 PM
About the clicking noise that appeared and went !

Mine lost all it's oil somehow !? and it was making the same clicking/clattering noise as the Rpm increases. The problem was that with the lack of oil there was no oil in the top of ure head so the lifters dry up. Mine stopped after i turned the engine off and restarted !

My oil has also gnoe very black and fuely, so im gonna change it !

my problem occured from ragging it 90 in 3rd (it's only a 1.2 SPi)