PDA

View Full Version : Can you change the temp. the fan kicks in at?

dunova
25-03-04, 01:06 PM
I've got a 'H' plate gsi and once warmed up it stays roughly on the half way mark on the temp. guage. Is this abit too high for optimum performance?If so can i lower the temp. it kicks in at?My bro's got a sri and his temp. stays at about a quarter which i think i would like mine to be at for the best performance-could i take the fan out of a sri and fit it in my gsi? :|

Benn
25-03-04, 01:08 PM
as far as i know u can by changing the rad switch...i think

mikeyredtop
25-03-04, 01:18 PM
u need a diffrent themostatic switch dunno if they are available or not

Ste_Nova
25-03-04, 01:30 PM
no point... it never gets hot enough for the fan during normal driving

if your car is too hot during normal driving then look at the faults rather than trying to bodge it by putting the fan on

dunova
25-03-04, 03:39 PM
Well it gets to just under half way on the temp guage and stays there-whatever kind of drivin i'm doing so i'm guessin that the fan is comin on at a certain time+therefore keeping it a certain temperature-its not that there's something wrong with the engine

Jester
25-03-04, 04:02 PM
isn't there some kind of ultra cool running valve from Courtney which sorts out this problem but kicking everything on earlier??

maybe perhaps or did I dream it...........................

peester
25-03-04, 04:24 PM
isn't there some kind of ultra cool running valve from Courtney which sorts out this problem but kicking everything on earlier??

maybe perhaps or did I dream it...........................

you can get a cool-running thermostat or something from regal/courtney but it only fits 2.0 8v, and valvers.
i rekon the cooling system in the 1.6 gte/gsi is pants; same size rad and setup as in 1.0, 1.2 ,1.4 etc.. isn't it?
suppose by the time you get to 1.6 its a bit pants...

Ste_Nova
25-03-04, 04:31 PM
Well it gets to just under half way on the temp guage and stays there-whatever kind of drivin i'm doing so i'm guessin that the fan is comin on at a certain time+therefore keeping it a certain temperature-its not that there's something wrong with the engine

if your driving at 30+ then the fan would provide no extra cooling.... on my 2.0 16v the fan only comes on when i'm stuck in traffic on a hot day

the fan doesn't cool the engine... the air passing through the grille does....

with your car i'd look at a new stat and a coolant swap.. and a new temp sender

and if you guessing about the fan why not install a light so you can see when it's on

LiD0N
25-03-04, 04:32 PM
no the rads are differnet sizes

Aragorn
25-03-04, 05:31 PM
also the guages all show different levels and the nipple senders all give different readings

get a new nipple sender/different dash and i betya it goes lower

dunova
25-03-04, 06:10 PM
Well i've just fitted a digi-dash and it reads half way still once its warmed up :?

Jim
25-03-04, 06:20 PM
My Nova temperature use to be just under 1/4, but nearly everyone I've spoken to has said that the car temperature is probably running at around the half way mark and that the sensor is not reading it right :?: My g/f's new Clio's temperature stays at 1/2 way. I wouldn't worry about it, but it's up to you.

Jim

brian
25-03-04, 06:38 PM
around the half way mark is the norm.
the fan hasn't even been on at this stage.

on my 2.0 16v the fan only comes on when i'm stuck in traffic on a hot day

the fan doesn't cool the engine... the air passing through the grille does....

Same as that on the last valver i had and that engine is the best test of all.

mikeyredtop
25-03-04, 06:39 PM
i get worried about the temp sometimes, when in traffic the fan does its job but when i get home the pipes are solid with pressure, iknow there is a pressure release valve in the header tank lid which works, but im scared a pipe will burst... theres nothing i can do but fit a cool running thermostate i know, but its only a minor problem anyway which wont do anything much...

Ste_Nova
26-03-04, 09:18 AM
[quote="mikeyredtop"] theres nothing i can do but fit a cool running thermostate iquote]

that doesn't make it run any cooler!!! just opens earlier .... once all the water is hot then it's hot

johnnynova
26-03-04, 11:04 AM
yeh had that problem with mine, too much pressure, i was racing another nova, went round a corner, floored it in second then suddenly loadsa white smoke coming out from my bonnet! i thought i'd proper fuked my engine. popped the bonnet grabbed my fire estinguisher, oped her up, then nothing, looked behind the car, loadsa water, thought fuk rad gone. then on closer inspection saw that the collant hose that connects to a metal pipe near the brake servo had come off. put it back on, did up the jubilee and it was sorted!

so how can i stop this happening again., aprt from not racing....

john

mikeyredtop
26-03-04, 03:14 PM
i had a similar problem with my gte turns out it was my head gasket pressurising the water side of things, it didnt actually pop off but split big time... they shouldnt pop off as they have a lip preventing this???

dathers
27-03-04, 09:20 PM
i get worried about the temp sometimes, when in traffic the fan does its job but when i get home the pipes are solid with pressure, iknow there is a pressure release valve in the header tank lid which works, but im scared a pipe will burst... theres nothing i can do but fit a cool running thermostate i know, but its only a minor problem anyway which wont do anything much...

The sytem is suposed to get solid with pressure,water under pressure in a car cooling system doesnt boil till about 120 degrees,thats why if you get a water leak it boils over as the air and lack of pressure lowers the boiling point of the water.
Dave