PDA

View Full Version : Gte engine running problems, need some help here peeps!

Zak16v
24-03-04, 12:37 AM
Hey, some of u know about the probs i have been having with my gte engined nova, the red one.

It has been running extremley rough, and it frequently cuts out without warning, and starts fine again, sometimes it wont start for a few mins, other times it goes right away.

There is also a really horriblesmelal coing from the exhaust, it seems like a sort of chemical/burning smell, really doesnt smell like normal fumes, almost like a kind of paraffin smell.

Also, the car idles really ba dand generally is extremley rough to drive and there are flat spots when driven hard, i done the ecu fault code check to find out what the managmet light was showing for

I got the following codes 31 and 42:

36 Incorrect RON/Octane setting Damaged RON plug or bad
connection.

I am running standard unleaded fuel and the plug is set to 95.

Also:

42 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) High voltage
42 1 gear ident switch (C20LET systems) High voltage
42 EST Line coil cylinder 2&3 (M2.8 / XEV systems) High voltage

The car is running a gte/early gsi engine from an h plate gsi, any help on this would be greatly appreciated,
cheers guys! z

Aragorn
24-03-04, 03:13 PM
where did u get those fault codes?

the topbuzz listing doesnt list the correct codes for the E16SE

it claims they are the same as bosch motronic but they arent

pop into halfords and find the haynes fault code manual - iirc your engine management is listed as "EZPlus2" or somthing similar to that

if i remember correctly thats the oil temperature sensor although i may be wrong

Zak16v
24-03-04, 11:17 PM
Alrighty mate i got the codes from the topbuzz guide to fault codes.

Still having serious probs my car is cutting out left right and center im losing the nut with it!

:(

Aragorn
25-03-04, 12:56 AM
the codes u have are correct ie 31 and 42 BUT the guide on topbuzz is wrong

get the haynes manual for fault codes and look them up

sounds like sensor faults

XZiBiT
25-03-04, 01:34 AM
have you got a lockable petral cap maybe some one has put sommit in ya tank???? that would explain the smell and cuttin out and ron setting fault :?