PDA

View Full Version : In the 1600 tuning bit how do u remove the 'wedge' bit?

dunova
23-03-04, 07:09 PM
It says in the 1600i tuning bit to remove the wedge bit on the butterfly-i've found what i think the wedge bit is but i'm not sure how to remove it-anyone know?

GaryGlasgow
23-03-04, 10:32 PM
Its a good question m8, i was going to try filling it down or even better try buffing it down with an electric bench brush which should give a good smooth finish all over, thats if you can remove the butterfly though. either way just be carfull not to go to far i have been asking around why it has that lip in the first place but no one seems to know. good luck

Cheeze
24-03-04, 08:02 AM
i removed this wedge to find that my car did not run properly, it is just screwed on from the other side, what i found out is when the butterfly is shut the two holes that were left were letting to much air into the engine which in turn buggered the running of it, i can try if u want it might just happen the same

mikeyredtop
24-03-04, 09:22 AM
ur meant to blank the holes up!

dunova
24-03-04, 04:55 PM
Whats the best way to get to the butterfly?When i look into the tb from where the air box pipe joins up i cant really get to it i can just about touch it. Should i take the tb out coz that seems to be LOADS of work?If i take it out and blank up the holes does anyone know if it gives enough more umph to make it worth the effort of doing it?

Alex
24-03-04, 04:56 PM
MC is the bloke to ask about this. He is not on here much these days though

GaryGlasgow
24-03-04, 07:29 PM
Removing the tb is very little work its just 4 nuts and then the cable, keep note of where the pipes go and it should be sraight forward, just use an instant gasket to seal it back up, I would imagine smoothing it out would make a difference.

GaryGlasgow
24-03-04, 07:52 PM
Did you the read the bit down below about how you should replace the nylon bush because it wears down and reduces how much the butterfly opens, i did not realise how bad mines was until i looked, it moves about 1/2" before the butterfly starts to open, i tried to buy this bit and vauxhall said i would need to buy a whole new tb but they are no longer available i am going to try and get a similar set up using another bolt with a bit of plastic tubing over it. it should make a big difference. Somthing else to consider while you are working on the tb, if you have not already tried it.

dunova
25-03-04, 12:59 PM
I had a look at how far mine opens and it seems fine-opens all the way. Maybe i was lucky with it. I'll have another look at the tb and consider taking it off-i take it its quite easy to remove the wedge bit once its off?Is it just screwed on there?

pingu_turbo
25-03-04, 08:38 PM
Ive just done it to mine yesterday. Quite impressed with the result. You take off the rubber hose from the afm, undo the 4 nuts on the tb and undo the 2 screws that are on the other side of the tb to remove the wedge. I just put some small nuts and bolts in the holes to block them up with stud locker on the threads, so they didnt work loose.
It made my engine much more responsive at lower rpm.
That bush is well worth sorting, i had sooo much slop in my linkage! I now get full throttle, did that today.
:D

GaryGlasgow
25-03-04, 10:53 PM
I did not realise the wedge simply unscrewed I thought i would have to buff it off, sounds like it gives a good result, how did you sort the nylon bush?

MC
26-03-04, 02:15 PM
Glad to hear that you are all doing these mods, they are simple and cost effective.

I'm performing similar mods on my 1600 mk1 golf GTi, A 10mm larger diameter tb gas flowed. It has a two stage throttle, bit like a twin choke carb. I've knife edged the ridge between the butterflies and and done similar all the way round the tb where the trunking joins on. It all helps.

MC

Jules
26-03-04, 07:19 PM
Whilst my GSi was in bits I removed the wedge and shaved some off it, didn't take too much off as I didn't want to fudge anything up - No idea if it's made much of a difference yet as I'mtaking it easy wearing in the new piston rings for a bit.