PDA

View Full Version : Fucked it. :(

Paul
21-03-04, 02:22 PM
Think I may have done some damage to my engine. My car has been loosing oil sum how. I changed a gasket, and it stopped it, I now have a thick black sludge on my head, looks as though I may have blown a gasket or something. My oil was low, and i ran it for a few hours with low oil, sounded tappety. I filled it up with oil, and all last nite it was doing it and this morning too. What have I fucked?

Stuart
21-03-04, 02:40 PM
valve cover gasket gone?

Paul
21-03-04, 02:41 PM
it sounds fucked, thats wot im really concerned about. Its ticking really noisily. tickings gtes faster with revs. I think its the gasket inbetween head and cam box?

Stuart
21-03-04, 02:45 PM
i was only aware that seal was silicone lol

the taping is just a hydraulic lifter/follower (call it what you will) gone dry. mine sounds like it all the time and i dont care lol

if your gonna take the head appart to reseal everything thenyou might aswell get new lifters, or just recondition yours yourself, its not hard.

Gazza14SR
21-03-04, 02:45 PM
I had this problem months ago and carried on running it and it eventually siezed. Had to have a recon.

Try not to drive it and cure the problem before some real damage gets done.

Sorry i cant offer any other advice to what it might be though.

mikeyredtop
21-03-04, 02:46 PM
i think ule find its ur head gasket if u have sludge

Stuart
21-03-04, 02:49 PM
he said the sludge was outside the head lol, and on it so its come from above the head gasket line

Paul
21-03-04, 02:50 PM
well, iv jus gone and started it again and took some photo's. It sounds awful, like a fucking tank. How hard is it to recon the hydraulic lifters? I've had oil problems before let it run dry of oiol by accident. put oil in it and its cured it. not this time. How can I fix it?

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/DSC00866.jpg

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/DSC00867.jpg[/img]

Paul
21-03-04, 02:52 PM
Do you need more pics of it? Dont really know what it i tbh. I thought it may have been a gasket imbewtween head and cam. I have alrwady blown the rocker cover one.

Stuart
21-03-04, 02:57 PM
i had that once

turns out i was running too thin an oil lol

Paul
21-03-04, 02:58 PM
iv jus had a thought. The oil that i chucked in last nite. it was dark, and only oil to hand was 2nd hand out of a 20XE, Lid0n's one. Used for one week or so, then he snapped cambelt, sould it be that it was castrol magnated, with engine flush in?

LiD0N
21-03-04, 03:00 PM
replace the blowing gasket and give it a full oil/filter change.. see if that fixes it..

mikeyredtop
21-03-04, 03:05 PM
i had a tapped shim fall off once as the tappet imploded sounded like a diesel. u can use instant gasket 4 the gap inbetween the carrier and head but its a case of takin the haed of to do a propper job...

Paul
21-03-04, 03:16 PM
what oil should i use for it? I'm going to do an oil chnage, see if that cures it....

mikeyredtop
21-03-04, 03:23 PM
10w 40

Paul
21-03-04, 03:42 PM
wud 15w 50 fuck up an sr engine?

mikeoxford
21-03-04, 04:14 PM
i run 15w40 castrol gtx

nova_rally
21-03-04, 06:32 PM
Thinner oil is better, unless your engine's old and worn and falling apart in which case you need Something with the consistency of toothpaste to fill the gaps... 15W should be ok though.

I run an interesting mix of 10w 40 and when that starts disappearing top it up with some various stuff (ranging from 5w 40 to 15w 30!)

works ok, and seems to satisfy every part of the engine...

Alan

Aragorn
21-03-04, 11:31 PM
10w40 and 15w40 are the same thickness once the engine is warm if i remember the numbering correctly and are only thinner when cold so the 10w40 would protect the engine better

Jules
22-03-04, 08:14 AM
There is no gasket between the head and cam carrier - You seal the join with special silicone based sealer.

But to get it (cam carrier) off you have to remove the stretch bolts which you should replace once used.
When I put my head back on 3 weeks ago I noticed a few days later that it's pi55ing oil from the head / cam carrier joint - Doesn't bother me as I'm taking the head off YET AGAIN on Tuesday as it runs as $hite as before (Like a Scooby) and it's still got hardly any compression on No1 cylinder - Apparently the head and valves were given the all clear - We'll see about that tomorrow when I pull it all apart.
:evil:

LiD0N
22-03-04, 03:03 PM
I've done a oil change. took it down to a garage and it turns out that my engine rubbers r fucked, I need new ones of them, and also My manifold had a huge gap inbetween the head and it. Caused from weak rubers vibrating.

So sorting that soon, tightened up all the bolts and its quietened right down.

MechaT
22-03-04, 03:09 PM
sounds like head gasket. If there is what looks like traces of mayonaise in the coolant tank, and there are water droplets or light brown sludge on the oil cap, then its probably head gasket or leaking head.

Someone asked how to refurb tappets. Haynes shows how. Dunno where you get bits from though. New tappets cost 6 quid'ish so why bother?

Ste_Nova
22-03-04, 03:42 PM
vaux 10/40 in the black can