PDA

View Full Version : Will i need a bigger battery ?

GaryGlasgow
20-03-04, 06:55 PM
I have just bought a good Kenwood head unit, a set of component speakers (130w), a set of 6/9s (220w) and two 12" subs (1100w) each. I have a 300w amp to power the 6/9s and will be buying 1600w amp for the subs everything but the head unit is sony explod, will my standard battery struggle to power all this? does it help if you buy good quality wires? i am new to the ice thing and did not consider this until i saw a car with only two components and one 10" sub which was powered by a small 80w amp and the guys head unit was fading and looked like it was really struggling.could he have improved this with good wires or a better battery earth does this make any difference? does my set up sound as if it will work well together? any coments or info would be great guys, cheers!

Adam
20-03-04, 07:22 PM
Well, i would get a new battery and upgrade the alternator. Make sure you get a heavy duty battery, you could also get a power cap to supply power to your amps.
As for cabling, quality is meant to make a difference, but i don't think you can really tell. Just get a fairly decent wiring kit.
Make sure that your power feed from the battery is beefy enough to power everything. I suggest battery thickness cable and a power distributor block to split it for both amps, and then a 1 farad power cap. Although the power cap may not be needed.

epo
20-03-04, 07:27 PM
u could always get a cav td battery and alternator

Adam
20-03-04, 07:29 PM
Yeah that is another alternative, get the battery and alternator out of a big diesel motor. They tend to be v.powerful compared to standard Nova battery

epo
20-03-04, 07:31 PM
when i had me gte i used to run mine off a calibra battery was a bit bigger than the nova
shame the battery was fooked
if i left it longer than a day with out startin the car the battery went flat

Adam
20-03-04, 07:37 PM
Which battery was knackered,the Nova or the Calibra, did the bigger battery seem to make any difference?????

GaryGlasgow
20-03-04, 11:40 PM
Cheers guys i like the idea of the td battery and alternator cost wise, does it definetely work and would that be straight forward to swap over, I have a gsi, I will definetely buy beefy wires, what is the power disributor block? do the amps get powered straight of the battery or does the power come through the head unit?

Adam
21-03-04, 10:22 AM
Amps are powered straight from the battery, and a power distribution block is just a block that takes the big battery feed wire, and then splits it into 2 cable feeds(to either amp). so it like splits the current. And each circuit is individually fused. The td battery should go straight in as long as it fits into the nova battery bay, the alternator i think is another straight swap. Its very cost effective compared to like a heavy duty battery and alternator on there own.
Hope this helps mate

epo
22-03-04, 07:47 PM
Which battery was knackered,the Nova or the Calibra, did the bigger battery seem to make any difference?????

the calibra battery was knackered and no didnt seem 2 make ne difference

GaryGlasgow
23-03-04, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys for the info it has been a big help.