PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Barrel

wisewood
19-03-04, 04:33 PM
Right... GSi got broken into the other day and they arsed up the steering column and ignition barrell among other things.

Got the steering column sorted but not the ignition barrel - the reasons for which dont matter so dont come saying "should have done both at once"..

I want to know how to fit an ignition barrell... and how hard is it. Have the haynes but havent had chance to look yet.

Ta

Andy

Ste_Nova
19-03-04, 04:50 PM
just unbolt it... you really need to take the column out to get to the bolt.. unless yoiu fancy beating round the dash/window with a hammer

Stuart
19-03-04, 07:49 PM
mine had some stupid big ass rivet thing in it lol

my dad ground it out while i nicked his car for work :)

it looks straight forward, even for a girly member of admin :p

Ste_Nova
19-03-04, 07:56 PM
it's a shear off bolt

heres a pic of a shear off bolt

http://www.electricmotioncompany.com/images/clamps/GC-268side.jpg

Stuart
19-03-04, 08:09 PM
ahhhh one of those, got ya the hex bit breaks off at say 10Nm etc blah blah

Alex
20-03-04, 10:53 AM
cambs got a very interesting starting mechanism on his but i cant say what it is

Stuart
20-03-04, 12:20 PM
its a pair of miniture toggle switches, ones a momentary contact (for starting) and the other is for the on/off :D job done

oh and they arent hidden lmao

Ste_Nova
20-03-04, 12:24 PM
lol do it properly... my grasser nova used a mk1 rear wash wipe switch :lol: wipe for ignition... spray for start

Stuart
20-03-04, 12:26 PM
now theres a thought :d

will have to do that for the project ;)

wisewood
23-03-04, 02:22 PM
decided to do away with the ignition barrell all together in the end anyway - discrete switch hidden away and a push button for the ignition...

Would have gone with ste's idea of the mk1 wiper for the starter but its a mk2 ... top idea though - got me wondering now what there is on the mk2 dash that i can bastardise. :lol:

Ste_Nova
23-03-04, 03:01 PM
got me wondering now what there is on the mk2 dash that i can ba***d. :lol:

heated seat switches