PDA

View Full Version : quad conversions bonnet skin

tom_beverley
18-03-04, 05:58 PM
Seems to be a cheaper option than buying and fitting a vent. Has anyone got one of these fitted and how easy is it? Been quoted ?200 to have a vent fitted and so ?125 with badboy extension and vent already fitted seems a good deal! How much work is needed to fit the skin?

blingmachine
18-03-04, 07:06 PM
ive herd the skin is pritty poor quality and takes quite a bit of work just to make it sit on the bonnet right. It would be much cheaper to just go and buy a vent.

badnova
18-03-04, 11:31 PM
chaep options aint always the best option
i would get the job down proply and not the the skin
but its still your choice

Jack
19-03-04, 10:05 AM
i was looking in to this a while back. Theres some old posts about it somewhere. General response i found was that its ok if you're not going for a perfect fit and are willing to put in some work to get it on. And the extension comes down a little too far on Mk2 lights.

badnova
19-03-04, 12:48 PM
so you are really goin to need to modifie it and cahndge it to make it fit and you shouldnt really need to do that as it is made to fit a nova and not a universal fit type thing

red_devil
19-03-04, 03:05 PM
Best way to do it by fair is to buy and vent and fit it ur bonnet and then have a complete 1 piece skin made with edges and everything in fibreglass...

ABS in Sheffield do it for approx ?250 and its a guaranteed way of it not cracking so u can just pull the metal skin off a nova bonnet and bond it to the frame

Adam
19-03-04, 06:42 PM
What is the Quad Conversion skin made from, does it just stick onto your bonnet with just like glue?

badnova
19-03-04, 06:46 PM
think its made from abs plastic
and it just stick and rivets on

Jack
19-03-04, 09:21 PM
one piece GRP skin which you simply bond over you existing bonnet

afaik GRP is a reinforced fibreglass stuff. Bond it on, probably with something like stikaflex, a few rivets as well, blend over the rivets and mould the edges in with a bit of fibreglass.

...until it comes loose at 80mph and parts company with bonnet lol

olly55
19-03-04, 10:01 PM
i heard it wasnt wide enough so alot of work is needed down both sides on bonnet plus imo it looks liek ull have to do so much work to get it on right it wud b far easier to have it dun by a pro,

badnova
19-03-04, 10:49 PM
did know that it wasnt bigger enough
well really there aint no point at all buying one then

tom_beverley
20-03-04, 12:15 PM
:lol: doesnt seem like it has many fans!

badnova
20-03-04, 01:47 PM
does anyone make that ven to just stick on like the evo and f50 vents

Adam
20-03-04, 02:36 PM
I haven't seen that Sabre vent in the form a just a single vent, i think Quad Conversions just make it for the bonnet skin itself. It is a good vent though

tom_beverley
21-03-04, 01:56 PM
yea the vent looks smart, still mite get 1 yet, jus decidin wether to risk it lol

Adam
21-03-04, 02:58 PM
I would get one,
they are a good deal for a unique vent and bad boy bonnet,a vent and bad boy would cost a lot more than that and you would need to be worked on more. And the complete skin can look mint if worked on right.
But if you ave a mark2 Nova the bad boy lip comes down the lights too far, it looks good on mark1 though, just the right size.

NovaNeil
21-03-04, 06:56 PM
I've got one..... Haven't fitted it to the bonnet yet but it all lines up and is wide enough to cover the whole bonnet! It just needs little finishing before I fit it as its got some chips but thats all.

Neil.
21-03-04, 07:29 PM
Best way to do it by fair is to buy and vent and fit it ur bonnet and then have a complete 1 piece skin made with edges and everything in fibreglass...

ABS in Sheffield do it for approx ?250 and its a guaranteed way of it not cracking so u can just pull the metal skin off a nova bonnet and bond it to the frame

TBH this is the best 1 you should get as it requires no filler'ing n dont crack.

jap nova
21-03-04, 09:08 PM
right this is how it is, i got the skin for a ford ka and made it fit the nova then put a bad boy on the bonnet, he borrowed the finished bonnet and took a mould he then fucked my bonnet up and gave me the first skin out of the mould, it was crap didnt fit and had more ripples than a fat bird. the second skin was better but still not right, i have had 4 now and this one is proberbly the best but still had to make it mint, the skins are a easy way to have a nice vent n bad boy. if u own a mk2 then u can trip the bonnet its only plastic! my nova is the wide arched fliped one on his web site.

badnova
21-03-04, 11:25 PM
could you take the orignal metal bonnet skin off and put the quad one on to the frame
whoudl that work on a mk2

red_devil
22-03-04, 05:59 PM
The Skin i got for Quad Conversions was basically a waste of fibreglass.. it may has well been called a bonnet mess cos it wasn't wide enought to come to the edge... as far as i thought a bonnet skin was meant to be able to bond straight onto a frame... with the closing edges of the bonnet being on the skin... but hey it looks mint now but was a r8 pain in the arse

nova.pimp
25-03-04, 01:43 PM
ey up tom mate. my girl got me one and like neil says it fits spot on. i cant wait to fit it. i've just gotta rub down a few minor inperfections like where they prime it in white thereafew chips but no biggie. the vent looks fcukin' awesome. so just get one mate. hope this temps you into getting one of the best looking vents around. :D

supernova1200
25-03-04, 02:48 PM
let us know how you get on wit fitting it
i want one but just want to know how easy it is to fit.
what mk is your nova does it fit straight onto a mk 2 nova?
any help plz
cheers

nova.pimp
25-03-04, 03:04 PM
hi mate. glad ppl are interested now. 3 months ago evr1 hated this. mines a mk2 and the nova in the ad is a mk2. the only thing you'll have to do is where the edge of the skin meets the edge of the bonnet is to smooth the join so when the lid is up you wont see its a skin. i might leave my vent filled so its a bulge but still unsure. i'd imagine it to fit the mk1 aswell. go for it buddy. its a good buy. and if you do fcuk up then a body shop should'nt charge too much to put it rite for ya. :D

badnova
25-03-04, 05:30 PM
after all i said im very tempted

tom_beverley
25-03-04, 05:39 PM
lol shud use this to advertise it :lol: yea ive decided im goin to get one of these coz the vent looks mint and u get it badboyd n all, ive got some quad conversion front lights aswell so hopefully it shud go nicely together! Its a lot cheaper this way and im on a budget even spendin ?100 the bodyshop shud get it lookin class, thanks for all ur opinions!

badnova
25-03-04, 05:49 PM
jut thinking how would you open the bonnet when it on
do you need to have something to open that

NovaNeil
26-03-04, 09:19 AM
Doh!!! Nova.Pimp..... You shouldn't be encouraging them! Its less original if we all have them :lol: Oh well.....

I'll let you guys know when I fit mine how I get on, should be within the next 2 weeks me thinks