PDA

View Full Version : Nova TD Tuning

dikharvey
17-03-04, 07:04 PM
I've just bought a mk2 Nova TD.

A couple of years ago I met someone that had an intercooler and a k&n induction kit on.

What kind of gains could i expect from this?

Are there any other ways to tune a TD?

ydg27
17-03-04, 07:52 PM
OH YES, turn the boost up with a bleed valve, remove the boost protection in the inlet manifold (where the air filter is in the black box on the engine), adjust the felling to make it run richer & straight through exhaust system, i have got a 1.7td nova with 110bhp and 130lb ft torque, its quick!!

C-S_Cormac
18-03-04, 01:12 AM
OH YES, turn the boost up with a bleed valve, remove the boost protection in the inlet manifold (where the air filter is in the black box on the engine), adjust the felling to make it run richer & straight through exhaust system, i have got a 1.7td nova with 110bhp and 130lb ft torque, its quick!!

What boost u running?? Have u had the car Rolling roaded to prove these figures???

Cormac

ydg27
18-03-04, 01:25 AM
yeah car was rolling roaded @ 110.6 bhp @ 5030RPM & 127.9lb ft torque @ 2030

at Europarts - stoke on trent, just after the dyno was re-calibrated
done some more mods now and she is faster than before.
on the dyno: -
50 - 70 = 2.4 seconds
70 - 90 = 1.8 seconds

running 20psi boost, but i am changing the turbo for one with slightly bigger compressor housing (2mm bigger) and putting an intercooler on the front where the grill should be.

so yeah i have got rolling road igures to prove my claims!

C-S_Cormac
18-03-04, 10:26 AM
Just wondering lad you no how sum ppl just make up these figures IoI

So ur running 20psi boost with the max fuel screw turned??? + intercooler and that has given u a 28Bhp increase???

I had a 1.7td astra and i increased the fueling, took her to the RR any she came out 81.8bhp a .2bhp decrease IoI coulnt work it out!

I no have a d-turbo 306 which i increased the fuel and the fuel pressure its reading 102.4bhp @159 lb ft

Im bulding a 1.7td nova at the mo tho thats why im intrested!

Cormac

ydg27
18-03-04, 12:42 PM
the fuelling was turned out about 1/2 turn and it hasn't got an intercooler on and she pulled 110.6bhp on the rollers!

with the intercooler i will be looking at about 118 - 119bhp (thats with the intercooler front mounted). i was told to expect these gains by Ian Nixen from EP Motorsport, where i had the car rolling roaded.

at some point i am getting another head and doing all of the porting, valves, polishing, cam and should be looking at about 125bhp (about 110 @ wheels)
that will be a fast TD

sm1thson
18-03-04, 01:31 PM
ive just bought a nova TD, and was wondering what BHP it is as standard?

C-S_Cormac
18-03-04, 01:35 PM
67BHP

Cormac

Stanton
18-03-04, 04:40 PM
if u guys want cheap intercoolers i have shat loads...... kieron harrop has a reli nice td, take a look at that...

ydg27
18-03-04, 11:42 PM
i need a large cooler that will fit on the front of a nova and i have seen keirons and it is nice, shame it's a 1.5, not the 1.7, that would really set the car off

C-S_Cormac
19-03-04, 01:21 PM
Will an intercooler really give u much extra grunt?? Ive been thinking about a large cold air duct sitting poss behind the grill bypassing the airbox straight to the inlet manifold!!!

I have an intercooler off a td astra(of which my 1.7td engine came) were the feck would it fit??!!

Cormac

ydg27
21-03-04, 03:00 AM
induction cone positioned on turbo inlet directly, and the intercooler will fit behind the grill, i have got the same intercooler and mine fits behind the grill but you need a smaller rad, e.g. GSi and the boost pipes go down the side of that and yes the intercooler does make one hell of a difference

dikharvey
01-04-04, 11:51 PM
Have you got any pics of your intercooler fitted to a nova td?

How much for one? With all the bits needed to fit it.

ydg27
02-04-04, 02:30 PM
i haven't got any pics yet cos i havent found a GSi rad for sensible money yet. but if you fit it to the GSi rad like it is fitted on the cav or astra as standard then it will be fine.

i am going to expect about 5bhp and 6 or 7 lb ft torque more than i have now.

Adam
02-04-04, 02:59 PM
Will an intercooler really give u much extra grunt??

They give you extra power, because cold air is denser than hot air, and so when the air entering the engine is hot not as much air can be fitted into each cylinder(therefore not as much fuel is put in, less power produced), the intercooler cools the air before it enters the cylinder, so when it is put it the cylinder it is very cold(very dense).Denser air uses less space and so more air can be put inside each cylinder, therefore it is compensated by more fuel being put in, giving more power....

That is where a turbo charger produces even more power, through compressing the air before entering the cylinder, again fitting more in, more power produced.
:D :D

Just a bit of physics for ya!
(Because i have just had a physics lesson, so haven't recovered from a physics state of mind,YET!)))

:D :D :D