PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Gone?

ChelmsfordNova
16-03-04, 10:08 PM
My car has been sitting for about 7 months, i started to start it once a week, but today i noticed that there was white on the oil cap thing, never seen it there before, so has the head gone, or (hopefully) is it just something to do with the car set up and it been sitting.

novashed
16-03-04, 10:24 PM
most likely head gasket as that white 'mayo' stuff is the water and oil mixing, indicating gasket failure

dave.gsi
16-03-04, 10:34 PM
probably just cos its been sitting around for a while. when i bought my silk violet gsi the cap looked severly dodgy but i was assured by the guy that it was just cos it had been standing for a while.

sure enough, after a few days it was fine

Adam
16-03-04, 10:42 PM
Best thing to do is to take it for a long drive and burn all the crap out of the engine. You will probably find that after you have drove it for a bit that the white stuff goes away and you never see it again.

But if when you try and drive it the performance is bad and the stuff stays in the cap then check the dipstick for the same, and then the coolant for any rusty colour traces in the water, if the car has those things then the head gaskets probably gone.

But 90% sure that the drive will sort it out