PDA

View Full Version : engine problem

isrs
14-03-04, 08:47 PM
please read, might be long but i need help!!

i'v got a 1.4sr with a problem. a couple months ago i was driving to devon from southport (4-5hrs drive usualy) at one point i decided to give it some and got 130mph out of it (wouldt go any faster)

then about two weeks ago i went to devon again, was in the second lane doin bout 90mph then it started to jump that bad that it nearly stalled.
it kept doin it so i had to pull in evry half hour.
got there changed the fuel pump, plugs, got the fan to work n stuff.
started doin it again on the way back and took 9hours.

Adam
14-03-04, 10:55 PM
I suppose it is a lessons of taking your car too far. 130mph out of a 1.4 is crazy, most GTE/GSI fail to reach that.

Anyway what has probably happened is that when you were ragging the engine to death that a lifter got stuck due to a lack of oil at the top of the engine.
So you have probably caused permanent damage, and will probably need to replace some of the engines vital parts, tappets etc.
Hows your oil level, if it is slightly low top it up and take it smoothly for a bit while the oil gets a chance to circulate the whole engine, and check your oil pressure guage.

DUNOVA.
14-03-04, 11:36 PM
Remember the clocks don't read very accurate :!: 130mph :lol:

Adam
14-03-04, 11:48 PM
True yeah DUNOVA, but still it is at least over the 100mark, accounting for a 10% uncertainty it is probably around 115mph, which is still shifting at sum speed.

DUNOVA.
14-03-04, 11:56 PM
I got 117 with my old clocks and 112mph on my digi

Aragorn
15-03-04, 12:06 AM
carb icing

dave.gsi
15-03-04, 12:56 AM
could be dodgy coil also :|

nova_rally
15-03-04, 09:07 AM
Sounds like the dreaded carb icing to me. Vauxhall clocks do seem pretty accurate (mine is anyway - over read of 1mph). You'll know whether it was 130 by what the rev counter says, you can easily check with a few sums how accurate the speedo is then.

Anyway - Carb Icing, whack some carb cleaner in the petrol next time you plan on driving like an idiot and you should be alright with it. Seems to keep it at bay for me.

Alan

Adam
15-03-04, 06:41 PM
Good point, the symptoms do sound like carb icing, due to a lack of fuel entering carb it would cause the car to try and stall.

isrs
15-03-04, 06:47 PM
cheers guys have to try and get some carb cleaner, what you do with it, just wack it in with some petrol?

Adam
15-03-04, 08:04 PM
Yeah you can get it as an additive to the fuel, just wack it into the petrol tank. It cleans out the carb, should make it run sweeter.