PDA

View Full Version : K&N "POP"

Nova_Tek
13-03-04, 07:39 PM
The topic title says it all!

Today I started my car since it hasnt been used in a few days. Weather was cold so at first the engine was a lil iffy to start with (Lately been having trouble with dodgey runing ever since i filled her up) but anyways.

I opened the bonnet just to have a look around make sure everything was OK. Everything was fine so I thought id rev her up a bit to warm her quicker. So I reached over to the throttle linkage next to the carb and I just did a normal burst of revving and all of a sudden a loud "POP" and a bit of smoke came out the K&N. (Scared the S**t out of me)

Switched the engine off. Had a look at the filter looked at the carb, nice and clean. Started her up with no problems and she was fine.

Has this happened to anyone before? Whats it mean? Im assuming the carb picked up dirt from the last fill up so shes runing badly but I dont get why she "POPPED"

Thanx

chriss
14-03-04, 12:45 AM
i'd just put it down to a bit of overfuelling. if its ok now dont worry about it. but watch cos my mate who deals with recoveries rackons he gets a few older cars with k'n'ns that caught fire

chris

2litreturbo
14-03-04, 11:31 AM
be careful when you clean he k&n not to over oil it! more likely to catch fire

Stuart
14-03-04, 12:07 PM
where did you buy your fuel from???

ive known of big prolems with tescos fuel in the past, some having 10% water in it lol, not good for fuel filters, injectors or carbs.

if you did buy from tescos, then get a couple of bottles of carb cleaner/water remover and bung them in the tank. if there is any space in the tank fill with super unleaded (from major company) or if you can find it get some leaded in there.

and take it on a motorway run to burn the fuel up

Aragorn
14-03-04, 11:58 PM
i wouldnt use leaded - stick to super

LRP is not used much these days and so sits around in storage tanks for weeks - this is not a good thing ;)

Nova_Tek
15-03-04, 06:22 PM
Bought my petrol from BP. Used unleaded which is what I normally use. But this just made my car run rough. Most of the pumps at the station were shut so it could have been the crap petrol left in the tanks.

As for the POP when you say over fuelling do you mean runing rich?

The K&N has never been cleaned. Only been on there for bout 5k miles so its still mint.

Also can a carb (1.2) run on SUPER or Optimax coz if it does then I mite try it.

Snowface
15-03-04, 06:32 PM
yes any unleaded car can run on Optimax, Ultimate Suoer Unleaded.

nova_rally
16-03-04, 09:42 AM
Just experienced this Pop - it's the carb not the K&N that causes it. We fitted a carb thats been sat in my shed gathering dust for years to a 1.6 last night and fitted the K&N. Started her up and revved it and then bang! Ran OK afterwards, revved the hell out of it and it was OK....

I ran Optimax in mine and it certainly made a difference, probably coz I'm running the ignition slightly too far advanced. MPG was improved as well!

Alan

m.d.
16-03-04, 11:29 AM
thats just carbs for ya mate. occasionally they will pop its just your in the car and will not really notice.
ask anyone on here who runs twin carbs what they are like for popping. mine do it all the time as you back off the throttle. get a little flame sometimes too. lol :twisted:

mikeoxford
16-03-04, 12:19 PM
get a little flame sometimes too. lol :twisted:

lol i used to when my engine wasnt setup - glad its gone now though, because fuel gushes down my bulkhead like a waterfall if the socks arent on. the socks must be drenched n all lol

johnnynova
16-03-04, 01:02 PM
yeh i second that, it happened to me when i fitted a pierburg 2e to my 1.2, the carb had been in a scrap yard for donkeys years! i got scared at first, then fired her up again, reved it up hardcore, then was sweet as a nut. i run on BP ultimate, i had my timing done when i was running a full tank of it, it gives me by far the best mpg and performance! i noticed it strait away. optimax makes my car slower in fact and my petrol guage go down down down down!

bp ultimate is the boom ting! always use it! i think its good for your engine aswell (sum additives in it)

robb
16-03-04, 01:22 PM
I have a Pierburg 2e carb with a K&N on top and when it's cold the carb will give off a pop, if you take the filter off you will see a mist of fuel fly out the top, don't worry too much mine hasn't caught fire yet. I think its pressure from the block kicking the mix the wrong way!