PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference - jetronic/multec?

pingu_turbo
13-03-04, 06:18 PM
Ive got a Gte with the bosch jetronic system. I wanted to get rid of the air flow meter as it looks like its a really big restriction. I wanted to know how the multec system worked or weather or not it could be swapped over? if so is it worth while?

I eventually wanted to go down the turbo route, can the multec system be adapted to cater for it?

mikeyredtop
13-03-04, 07:18 PM
well multec ditch the airflow meter by using a manifold apsolute pressure sensor (map) which is much more reliable than the flappy airflow meter...
they use a crankshaft postition sensor with the dis pack versions which i am running on my c16se... if ur gonna get the loom ecu and all sensors ule need a diffrent inlet manifold and a lamda sensor which could mean a diffrent exhaust manifold too. plus ule need the bottom pully with notches on 4 the crank sensor to read it... if u wanted to get all the bits needed it will be easy to source a loom, inlet, exhaust etc of a c14se but the c16se ecu will be needed which are rare, as i found out...

pingu_turbo
14-03-04, 06:40 PM
So if im gonna do all that work to change it to a multec system, isnt it just as worthwhile to put a different ecu in? like a dta or a autronic and get something turbo ready, or are these things sooooo expensive they'll clear the old bank acount?

mikeyredtop
15-03-04, 09:04 AM
wont be much more money to go 4 40's

pingu_turbo
16-03-04, 01:25 PM
Dont really want 40s, cos of the retuning every couple of weeks, i like something that can be driven like a car and then like a twat when need be. :D

Aragorn
16-03-04, 02:46 PM
there goes another myth :roll:

twin40s when setup by a decent tuning shop will not need retuned every 3 weeks

dan and mike have both had theirs setup properly and have been running for months without any need for retuning

switching to C16SE will not give u any more power - it will be a little happier running wild cams than the E16SE due to the airflow meter but thats about it

either take the cheap route and run 40's with 1.4 sr coil or fit throttles and mappable management

either way it will fly,