PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

dave.gsi
12-03-04, 12:00 AM
i'm using broadband at the moment at home (NTL) but will hopefully be moving out soon so will need to sort something out at my new place.

what do you use and how much does it cost?

Jordi
12-03-04, 12:11 AM
if ure sticking to cable get telewest / blueyonder (512 / 1mb / 2mb) and theres non of this NTL daily limit crap.

If your getting ADSL, go with nildram

www.adslguide.org or somet has a list of the best adsl providers.

GTE-RACER
12-03-04, 12:14 AM
Heard BT Broadband is ?19.99 now dayz...And a new comp cummin out called "Tuscalli" or sumfin will b ?15.99 a month! ! ! !

dave.gsi
12-03-04, 12:19 AM
lol, simple terms please :P

Jordi
12-03-04, 12:24 AM
lol, if you are in a "cable" area, you will be able to recieve blueyonder or NTL (its one or other i believe). If you are in a blueyonder/telewest area and decide to get a cable line rather then BT line, get blueyonder broadband.

If you cant get cable or choose a BT line, you will need to have a ADSL company such as BT, freeserve, nildram etc

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:20 AM
just because your in a "cable" area dont mean ull get broadband :wink:

our roads was one of the firts in birmingham to have cable television. great to brag to all your friends when i was at junior school. cos i had the simpsons on sky before anyone else!

not so great because all the cables used are old and decrepid and not up to giving us broadband. so be careful of that.

*touches wood*

because of this were on BT and have had NO problems.

service is always VERY fast *again touches wood*

but then again theres not many people in our area with it currently i dont think.

if we was in the right area we would have gone for blueyonder. much faster connections at cheaper rates. or they have better offers anyway.

BUT having said that, BT is more than satisfactory........

thats from my own personal experience anyway.
have to say blueyonder does kick ass over BT though - its so incredibly fast!

Ian
12-03-04, 03:11 AM
ntl 1meg ?35
or you gould have 600k for ?25

Breeny
12-03-04, 03:16 AM
I'm on Nildram, and very happy with the service. Best bet is to go to adslguide.org and see what they latest deals are. A lot of NTL users actually say the 600k line is quicker than the 1meg line, dunno how true that is..

I believe Kev is aswell on Nildram aswell.

?Marty?
12-03-04, 04:51 AM
NTL doesn't seem to be 'proper' broadband either, heard someone's suing them over it. Not sure on the details, but it's something about you not getting the actual 600k, but having to 'share' it with other homes. So what you get depends on who else is connected at the same time.

cooper_nova
12-03-04, 08:36 AM
i'm on aol broard band it cost's me ?28 per month, and it comes wiv a free modem and a freephone technical support helpline,
we haven't had many probs wiv them and the service is good :)

Jordi
12-03-04, 08:41 AM
NTL doesn't seem to be 'proper' broadband either, heard someone's suing them over it. Not sure on the details, but it's something about you not getting the actual 600k, but having to 'share' it with other homes. So what you get depends on who else is connected at the same time.

All broadband as a connection ratio, for example BT's is 50:1

This is 50 users to every adsl place at the thingy centre. This is because not all users will be on at the same time n when they are, u'll notice the internet is abit slower for ya. Hence why its faster in the morning.

Ste_Nova
12-03-04, 09:09 AM
nildram 2mb ?58.00

Jim
12-03-04, 09:17 AM
Stay away from BT. There expensive and service is crap! I think the ?19.99 a month is for 128k, not 512k.

Jim

Gazza14SR
12-03-04, 09:25 AM
am with BT payin 24.99 a month for 512k. As i bought it of the net i got the modem and micro filters & join fee for free which would usually be around 80 quid.

Am pleased with it, on average my download rate is over 35k a second and on good days it can be near/over 50k.

I can leave it downloading over night and it'll complete at least 2 movies at about 700mb each.

Gaz

Ste_Nova
12-03-04, 09:43 AM
Am pleased with it, on average my download rate is over 35k a second and on good days it can be near/over 50k.

damm i want faster than that!!! i'm used to over 300/sec at work

Gazza14SR
12-03-04, 10:41 AM

damm i want faster than that!!! i'm used to over 300/sec at work

If its any faster my eye sight will suffer badly :roll: its bad enough now ;)

Breeny
12-03-04, 11:03 AM
Forgot to say at work we have an 8mb leased line. Its up and down like a yo yo.. crappp

Ste_Nova
12-03-04, 11:16 AM
ours is a 55mb link.... it's also up and down... dam bt managed service :evil:

RobIsGrt18
12-03-04, 01:22 PM
cos i work for D.S.G i got boradband thro freeserve for 17.99 a month altho they checked my line said it was fine so sent me all the stuff, a week later they rang me to say i was to far from the exchange and cud'nt get broadband...nob's!!