PDA

View Full Version : FAO anyone with a website

_JH_
11-03-04, 11:22 PM
can you recommend a good free ftp client please?

I'm not very good with web design etc and I run a site on lycos. all basic stuff really but I wanna install phpbb. The thing is the lycos ftp client only yets you upload 8 individual files at once. I don't have the time nor the lack of friends to sit in front of the computer that long. I'm finding it hard enough to understand the jargon in the instructions as it is!

Neil.
11-03-04, 11:33 PM
use this one, called FTP Explorer, the most easiet simplest thing ever invented.

www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/ftpsetup.exe

If just the setup file dont work downlaod this, contatian all 6 files,

www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/ftp.zip
Neil

_JH_
12-03-04, 12:41 AM
cheers, 2 mins after posting I got the one i'd downloaded to work. I now have my own forum on my website. Woohoo! not bad for a hairy-arst farmer. just wish I hadn't stayed up late to do it

Neil.
12-03-04, 12:47 AM
oh well i tried.

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 12:54 AM
your very trying :lol:

Breeny
12-03-04, 03:21 AM
I use "Ace FTP" Havn't really experimented with others tbh, its what I've always used!

?Marty?
12-03-04, 04:46 AM
I use (Ipswitch) WS_FTP-Pro. Has a "classic" user interface, Explorer interface, Find Utility, Scripting Utility, Synchronize Utility, and Pro Icon Placement. Aii.

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 12:40 PM
I use (Ipswitch) WS_FTP-Pro.

we distribute that at work. for the basics its probably a bit complex - no wizards etc etc but it does a lot of things that are useful

?Marty?
12-03-04, 06:38 PM
^^^

Only gripe i have about it, is that on some of the others i've tried, you can edit a file on the 'server side' and it'll automatically save and re-upload it, whilst this one does not.

But i like the interface, it's all set out well and the functions have served my needs so far.

Barn
12-03-04, 07:47 PM
use this one, called FTP Explorer, the most easiet simplest thing ever invented.

www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/ftpsetup.exe

If just the setup file dont work downlaod this, contatian all 6 files,

www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/ftp.zip
Neil
how easy is website to do?
what would I have to do?

jkhilton
12-03-04, 08:11 PM
I use FlashFXP, it's ok, not had any problems with it and it is straight forward to use.

Worth checking out anyway.

John

2litreturbo
12-03-04, 09:10 PM
www.ftpx.com

Windows Explore Look-a-like

_JH_
12-03-04, 10:16 PM
the one I downloaded off cnet.com (very good, recomended by an old mate from school) is seagull ftp. does enough for my limited web design knowledge, although as I get better with it i'll probably find its flaws

2 people have registered to my phpBB and the most users ever online was 3 at 4.27 today. wohoo!!!

Neil.
12-03-04, 11:07 PM
Barney, its very easy to use, to use a really easy program try FrontPage Express, simple click and type style.

Neil

Barn
15-03-04, 09:15 PM
ok...so which one should I go for then?

as there are a few on this page :? :?:

:D

2litreturbo
15-03-04, 10:03 PM
FTP Explorer

Small download, HUGE capabilities. Drag and drop, multiple profiles, scheduling (for backup etc), windows explorer based interface

www.ftpx.com

Wayne_King
15-03-04, 10:06 PM
Ask jeeves mate, he'll help you out

wayne