PDA

View Full Version : Dropping a GTE engine in

funkypunk89
11-03-04, 10:48 PM
How hard would it be to drop a GTE engine in a 1.4SR

and would it be worth it?

AnThoNYnOvA
11-03-04, 11:28 PM
i reckon it would not be that hard , the bits i dunno about are the injection fuel pump and stuff like that u made to change that

pingu_turbo
12-03-04, 12:21 AM
Dropping a GTE engine in is easy, ive done it before. You will need the engine, gearbox, engine wireing loom, ecu, fuel pump, fuel tank + lines, brake servo, brake calipers and discs, and the radiator with all the piping. Ideally a donar car so you can see exactly how everything is laid out. Oh and its definatly worth it, your no longer pulling up at traffic lights wondering if your beat the car next to you or not. 9/10 you will! Great fun! :D

If youve got any questions about how it goes in, just pm me.

Good luck with it!

rysmee
12-03-04, 09:01 AM
if your gonna get a donor car then you might as well keep the doner! youve got to look at cost vs gain vs hassle. if you dont mind the effort and youve got a good shell to begin with then yeah it might be worth it it, but it is alot of work just to go up .2 of a litre, where for a little extra cost u could go buy a gte/gsi which are so much better anyway.

geordie_racer
12-03-04, 12:14 PM
you don't have to get the brakes and brake servo, in fact your probably just better of getting a set of valver brakes which would work fine with your current servo altho the gte one is better.

chris

pingu_turbo
12-03-04, 06:03 PM
The reason why i said a donor car is because i managed to get lucky down the scrappy and picked up a veerry rusty, but running and complete GTE, for not very much money. As for the brake servo i assumed that it would be different to be able to cope with the larger amount of fluid in order to fill the greater capasity calipers, also they were different part numbers at my local car part suppliers. Either way i would definatly change the calipers + discs they're there for a reason.

:D

Snowface
12-03-04, 06:28 PM
u might only gain .2 litre but u gain over 30bhp (with cat kept removed)

funkypunk89
13-03-04, 02:07 PM
Yeah, i've got GTE discs and calipers. Thinking about upgrading to the GTE master cylinder but wasnt sure if it would make any difference

pingu_turbo
13-03-04, 05:26 PM
Im not sure if it makes any difference as i have always upgraded the servo with the calipers. :)

mikeoxford
13-03-04, 05:28 PM
gte master cylinders are no bigger than std. no point drniaing the system to fit it as its the same!

but the brake servos are bigger - so do fit that.

mike