PDA

View Full Version : harness mounting

mikeoxford
10-03-04, 10:14 PM
rumour has it it is bad to mount on the C pillar?

just wondered why?

not that mine are. just curious

2litreturbo
10-03-04, 10:15 PM
yeah bobby wrote that about my harnesses. Ste, shed any light?

elsey197
10-03-04, 10:20 PM
think maybe because if you get shunted from the rear
the c piller may collapse or move forward causing the harness to move forward thus not stopping you from hitting the steering wheel, dash, windscreen.

maybe, thats what i think anyway

mikeoxford
10-03-04, 10:23 PM
sounds feasible

Neil.
10-03-04, 10:27 PM
any idiot would realise that!

Breeny
10-03-04, 10:32 PM
You have no room to talk about safety Neil!

Its prob best to use the 4 seat belt mounting points in the rear seat floor area or on a welded in roll cage.

mikeoxford
10-03-04, 10:32 PM
spose youd know all about being shunted from the rear :lol:

stop hijacking my post mister :!:

?Marty?
11-03-04, 01:07 AM
yeas, and the 'angle' is not correct.

mine are mounted on the rear seat mounting points and are all at right angles to each other.

Fester
11-03-04, 01:25 AM
Yeah the angle is sketchy, as it's abve horizontal to the line of the exit from the seat the force of someone going forward could pull the belt up against the slot and start pulling it up from its mountings :?

?Marty?
11-03-04, 03:42 AM
shold be pulling the seat downwards innit.

Neil.
11-03-04, 03:46 AM
yeah propper bo i tell thee!

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 09:17 AM
it's all rubbish. If the c pillar wasn't safe then they would not make cars using that for a seatbelt mount.

Every modern car uses it so i'm gunna use mine.

Ste_Nova
11-03-04, 09:27 AM
it's not ideal for the rear seat pass.... but it's the best there is..... if you want to look at it properly look at the pulling angles....

the rear belts pull down on the C

the rear floor belt mounts or a propper rear brace/cage is the only way

what are peeps doing for the between the seats mouting points?

Ste_Nova
11-03-04, 09:30 AM
also imagine the setup with the seat removed.... remove the seat and the belt should still remain the same.... if removing the seat make the belt go slack on you then it's wrong

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 09:37 AM
also imagine the setup with the seat removed.... remove the seat and the belt should still remain the same.... if removing the seat make the belt go slack on you then it's wrong

steve i dont understand the question.

Also, you mention that the belt will pull down on the c pliiar but the normal belt pulls down on the b pillar.

Jim
11-03-04, 10:39 AM
Looks like your going to have to remove your rear seats Mike ;)

Jim

Ste_Nova
11-03-04, 10:56 AM

Jim

why?

mikeoxford
11-03-04, 12:54 PM

Jim

:lol: everyone says that!!!!

ste.

my rear seats are still in situ. i will be using my car regular round birmingham, and wherever else. its not a concourse or once a month jobby.

ive kept the seats in to keep it lookin a bit more original. i dont want it all boarded out etc.

anyway, i have three point harnesses.

the rears go through in between the backing of the seats, and the lower portion of the seats, and then mount on to one of the rear seat belt locations.

as for the sides, i think it is wrong to do so? but anyway, mine are mounted to the seat frames.

why? because normal nova buckles are on the frames, and also there was a bolt hole for me to do so with a little bracket.

i apreciate it owuld be safe to mount to the body, so in event of accident only the seat could come loose, but ive made doubley sure this wouldnt as i have put straps on the undeside of my chassis in betwene bolt points, so its not as if 4 bolts can rip through the floor.

opinions........

Ste_Nova
11-03-04, 01:01 PM
side ones should be mounted to replica ones of the outers.....

what do they do in the grp a book??

Jim
11-03-04, 01:19 PM
why?

Because you just said it would be uncomfortable for rear passengers to use the fixing points that you mentioned earlier.

Plus, he has a half cage and fixed bucket seats, so the rear seats aren't really necessary or easy to gain access to, Mike knows my thoughts anyway :P

Jim

Paul
11-03-04, 01:28 PM
3 point harnesses, I used to have mine:

Rear points replacing the middle seat belt and holder thing.

2 outside ones, bolt to where the front belts bolt to.

And finally the inside ones, well, they went to the floor at the front where the original seats bolt to.

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 02:34 PM
And finally the inside ones, well, they went to the floor at the front where the original seats bolt to.

They definately should not be forward of the seat!

Ste_Nova
11-03-04, 04:13 PM
as stated above.. imagine the belt setup without the seat there

Fester
11-03-04, 05:33 PM
http://www.ompusa.com/harness_notes.htm

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:24 AM
Mike knows my thoughts anyway :P

JimLOUD and clear pmsl :lol:

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:31 AM
http://www.ompusa.com/harness_notes.htm

strange......

so from that....... it tells me that it would be better? to mount them from the C pillar, as the seat position is "not recommended" ?

Fester
12-03-04, 01:46 AM
Is the C pillar mount higher than where the belt would exit from the holes in the seat?

I've never put any in just remembered that diagram

Neil.
12-03-04, 01:47 AM
FFS, just mount em to your buckles that the rear seat belts use at the bottom.

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:51 AM
FFS, just mount em to your buckles that the rear seat belts use at the bottom.
lol that OMP website said it wasnt "recommended"[/b]

Neil.
12-03-04, 01:53 AM
ppl say it's not recomended to put a rear aeroplane wing on the back of a nova but people do it :twisted:

Fester
12-03-04, 01:55 AM
you knob, its an FIA diagram which has one would presume a element of validity

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:55 AM
ppl say it's not recomended to put a rear aeroplane wing on the back of a nova but people do it :twisted:

true.

the "biplane" as i like to call it got me forward and back to sheffield though to fix your car. which is a damn site many more miles than your car would go right now :lol:

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 01:56 AM
you knob, its an FIA diagram which has one would presume a element of validity
FIA?

federation investigating a$$holes?

Neil.
12-03-04, 01:59 AM
federation investigating a$$holes?

Mike stop druling.

Breeny
12-03-04, 03:18 AM
Even better.. stop drooling Mike...

Whatever that supposed to mean!

Neil.
12-03-04, 03:21 AM
hehe yeah thats it breeny, dont even know what anything means at mo, filler fumes infecting my brain! :twisted: :twisted:

2litreturbo
12-03-04, 08:29 AM
well i'm gunna keep mine on the c pillar! but if i get in a crash, and the pillar collapses and i die you can all laugh at me!

Ste_Nova
12-03-04, 09:01 AM
c pillar isn't strong... esp if you roll it... as seen here

http://uploader.co.uk/images/gsicrash1.gif

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 12:35 PM
my thoughts are this:

as everyone says the c pillar doesnt appear to be very safe. it is very strutural, but it can fold, bend twist, it can be damaged badly in a crash.

just because the FIA diagram states the harnesses should be mounted horizontal (the rear strap) dont mean it has to go on the c pillar. although i assume it would.

i was going to put mine on the c pillar, but when you think about it its not too clever.

im unsure why FIA states it should go there?

as ste says imagine the seats arent there. if the harnesses are located at the bottom of the seat both front and side, it can only pull the seat down in the event of a crash.

another reason for me not locatin gon the c pillar :lol: is i guess at MOT time ill need to have rear seatbelts as i have rear seats fitted? doh!

Ste_Nova
12-03-04, 01:00 PM
my thoughts are this:

as everyone says the c pillar doesnt appear to be very safe. it is very strutural, but it can fold, bend twist, it can be damaged badly in a crash.

just because the FIA diagram states the harnesses should be mounted horizontal (the rear strap) dont mean it has to go on the c pillar. although i assume it would.

!

cause fia expect it to be mounted to the cage

http://uploader.co.uk/images/interior008.jpg

?Marty?
12-03-04, 06:33 PM
^^^ that interior looks smart as fuck!

dave.gsi
12-03-04, 08:55 PM
^^ true lol

when i had my harnesses the rear went to the rear seatbelt mounting points in the back seat, the outside ones went to the standard position and the inside ones were fixed to the metal bit were the original seats hooked under (just pulled off the plastic cover and drilled some mounting holes).

seemed safe enough to me :|

2litreturbo
12-03-04, 08:59 PM
as ste says imagine the seats arent there. if the harnesses are located at the bottom of the seat both front and side, it can only pull the seat down in the event of a crash.

How can it pull the seat down if it isn't there?

mikeoxford
12-03-04, 09:09 PM

How can it pull the seat down if it isn't there?

the front seat :lol: :wink:

id hope the front seat was there unless u sit on the floor these days?!

Ste_Nova
13-03-04, 12:17 PM
^^^ that interior looks smart as fcuk!

thanks

karl Rowntree
13-03-04, 01:08 PM
Ste, have you got anymore pictures of that interior/cage?

Thanks, Karl