PDA

View Full Version : Wirin Clocks

rob mason SR
10-03-04, 06:29 PM
i have a mk1 nova with a mk2 dash. i have brought a set of mk2 clocks to go in the dash but i cant figure out which wires to join together on the connector. any help would be appreciated!
cheers
rob

XZiBiT
10-03-04, 06:31 PM
you gotta explain a bit more than that mate have you got a plug on the end of the wires in your dash at the mo??? if so then the other dash you use should just plug in as the old 1 did

rob mason SR
10-03-04, 06:56 PM
there is a plug on the car at the mo but it has 12 pins and 2 loose wires. i have the connector for the new clocks and it has 14 pins.the problem i have is that the colours do not mach up.cheers

geordie_racer
11-03-04, 12:18 PM
put up the wiring colors for both the current plug that is in your car and the new plug and ill tell u what to connect to where.

chris

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 12:31 PM
two loose wires will be rev counter and maybe oil pressure

rob mason SR
11-03-04, 08:10 PM
right, here we go!
On the car
1 brown/yellow
2 blue/green (2 wires to same pin)
3 Grey/green
4 black
5 black/white
6 white
7 brown
8 blue
9 blue/black
10 black
11 blue/white
12 brown/red AND brown/white to same pin
loose 1 green
loose 2 blue/yellow
On The New Connector
1 brown
2 blue
3 blue/black
4 brown/blue
5 blue/white
6 brown/white
7 brown/red
8 black
9 green/grey
10 grey/green
11 black
12 black/white
13 white
14 Green

Phew. Dont think ive typed that much since school! :D

2litreturbo
12-03-04, 08:53 PM
best put your fingers in some ice to cool them down

rob mason SR
14-03-04, 03:06 PM
can anyone help? its really gettin annoying havin no clocks

geordie_racer
14-03-04, 07:55 PM
sorry it's taken me so long to sort this out mate, been on odd shifts at work.

Below is a list of what wire goes where, but the lists you put up of the mk2 colors seems to be wrong but ill explain that bit later,

MK1 - MK2

black/white - black/white
green - green
white - white
brown - brown
blue - blue
blue/black - blue/black
brown/red - brown/red
blue/white - blue/white
brown/white - brown/white

the above wires are definately correct but the following wires seem to be wrong in your list,

brown/yellow - this is the mk1 choke light and will connect up to the mk2 ecu light or choke light which the diagrams for mk2 show is also brown/yellow which isn't in your list for mk2 wires

blue/green - this is for the oil pressure guage, are the clocks you have normal mk2 clocks or the 6 dial clocks? either way this will connect to a blue/green wire on the mk2 loom

grey/green - this is for the dash illumination when the lights are on, this connects to another grey/green but u say ur mk2 connector has 2 grey/greens 1 of these i don't think is grey/green

black - this is either an ignition live or the right hand indicators, to check match each black on the mk1 loom to one black on the mk2 loom, one of the blacks on the mk1 loom will turn the indicator on the other will appear to do nothing, connect this wire to the one that does nothing, the other black on the mk1 connector will match to the other black on the mk2 loom

blue/yellow - this connects to a blue/yellow on the mk2 loom but if it's not a 6 dial dash then it won't need connecting

think that takes care of all the wires, as you can see from above theres a few wires i know are wrong in your list and you will need to double check

chris

rob mason SR
16-03-04, 07:25 PM
thanks for the help mate,
there is definitly no brown/yellow on the mk2 connector for the choke light. there is only 1 wire unnacounted for on each side,
MK1 Brown/Yellow
Mk2 Brown/Blue
The brown and blue wire is a complete mystery as i cant find it in any of the wiring diagrams. I have an autochoke so ive never used the choke light anyway.
Anyone got any ideas as to what the brown blue wire could be?

geordie_racer
18-03-04, 04:32 PM
try putting the blue/brown to a live and see what the dash does, think it may be the second wire for the 2 wire oil pressure sender.

chris