PDA

View Full Version : Handling with XE

Fletcher
09-03-04, 03:23 PM
Around 3 years ago I use to own a 1992 nova with a 20 XE, it was lowered 30mm on full koni kit and from what I remember it handled very well,

I was looking to buy another nova (as a weekend car) and actually went to get it, however when I took it for a test drive I was really disappointed by the handling, so much so it actually put me off buying the car,

I actually drive a 1.7 Puma day to day and although it?s not a touch on an XE nova on the straights, it must be said it handles fantastic

So what I want to know is can an XE nova still cut it with the more modern cars out there handling wise??

(im not after a slagging match, just curious as it is the only thing putting me off)

Philsutton
09-03-04, 03:31 PM
with a decent suspension set up a 20 xe nova can handle very well. Novas are quite light anyway even with a 2lt in compared to modern cars.

XZiBiT
09-03-04, 04:19 PM
i heard they were sweet

Jim
09-03-04, 04:32 PM
The 2.0 conversion can handle well provided you put some money into it. A roll cage, coilovers, rose jointed susspension components, etc will help to improve the handling of the 2.0.

Jim

Ben
09-03-04, 05:15 PM
Basically what Jim said.

If your buying a Nova with just the engine fitted it will be awful but f it is a properly done conversion with suspension, brakes etc to match the extra power you should be fine.

XZiBiT
09-03-04, 05:36 PM
strut brace would also help i guess

Fletcher
09-03-04, 05:53 PM
yeah but the one i almost bought was -30mm, poly bushes, strut brace, roll cage, no rear seats, front ARB removed :?: :?:

so1o
10-03-04, 04:12 PM
What was it lowered on? If its a cheap setup like mine, gmax, it wont do you to many favours and mine has given me a scare or two. As said above handling issues with valvers are a common discussion its always the same output, you really need to throw some money at it to get it sorted well.

Best bet would be to search migweb and novaload, search does'nt work on novaload but if you flick back a few pages in technical theres always something to be said about valver handling.

What i found was 30mm on front was best, Im thinking of bilstein shock with PI springs for the front or custom made springs from courtenay.

Also a strut brace helps no end as it made a noticeable difference on mine.

Solo