PDA

View Full Version : GSI 1.6i Cat (Replacing)

Smoki3
09-03-04, 03:22 PM
Im looking to replace my cat and put some pipe work from another nova, to replace where the cat went! :twisted:

What year is it a nova with a CAT doen't need a CAT to pass a MOT!? :?
(My Nova is a GSI CAT '93, would i need 1 to pass :?: )

which nova pipe work would replace this :?:
From down pipe to "where" would it fit in :?:

Thanks peps

XZiBiT
09-03-04, 04:26 PM
if you replace the cat with pipe it will fail mate emmissons and all that :cry:

mikeyredtop
09-03-04, 04:33 PM
then u put it back on duh!

Smoki3
09-03-04, 04:54 PM
ok peps, what section could i get to replace the cat?

Is it the front section from a gte?

DUNOVA.
09-03-04, 05:03 PM
Bit of straight through pipe (flexi)

mikeyredtop
09-03-04, 05:54 PM
the mid section u need to change which is a single piece on a gte, with a stupid amount of silencers. from the end of the downpipe to the backbox i bought 1 i year ago 4 50 quid + vat

Will
09-03-04, 06:18 PM
ALL NOVAS are tested under the NON CAT tests as they are not listed for cat tests on the ministry of transport system simplem as that, event he K reg ones.

so decat pipe it OR GSI non cat system it

it wont fail emissions

mikeyredtop
10-03-04, 10:34 AM
no car has to have a cat legally but if it fails emmisions as the parameters for co's and hydro-carbs are lower in a cat car then then ule need to put it back on...

Will
10-03-04, 02:48 PM
al novas have the same NON cat test

2litreturbo
10-03-04, 02:53 PM
no car has to have a cat legally but if it fails emmisions as the parameters for co's and hydro-carbs are lower in a cat car then then ule need to put it back on...

Wrong - Having a CAT is part of the mot test. If a car that should have one, doesn't, but it still has low enough emissions, it will still fail the mot.

Smoki3
10-03-04, 03:32 PM
So really there is no legal way of having no CAT! cause i'll still have to put it bak on for the MOT.

Ste_Nova
10-03-04, 03:40 PM
my late k black plated 1.2i passed fine with out one

my 1.4 passed with the co 10 times over the limit... just take it to a nice garage!

2litreturbo
10-03-04, 04:05 PM
So really there is no legal way of having no CAT! cause i'll still have to put it bak on for the MOT.

It depends on the car, no novas need cats to pass the mot. But a car like a focus, which HAS to have one, will fail the mot if it doesn't have a cat regardless of the emission levels!

Snowface
10-03-04, 06:11 PM
if u remove a cat ur emissions will go up.

max i think ur allowed on MOT is 1500 HC ppm.

If u take ur cat off and emissions go over this (most likely will) then u FAIL MOT. SIMPLE.

So u DO need a cat to pass MOT cause it keeps emissions down!

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 08:35 AM
if u remove a cat ur emissions will go up.

max i think ur allowed on MOT is 1500 HC ppm.

If u take ur cat off and emissions go over this (most likely will) then u FAIL MOT. SIMPLE.

So u DO need a cat to pass MOT cause it keeps emissions down!

No i dont think you understand.
The law says certain cars need a CAT, certain cars dont.

If a car that the law says needs a cat, turns up for an mot turns up without one, it will automatically fail even if it pumped pure oxygen out of it's tail pipe.

But it a car that doesn't need a cat turns up then it will have to meet the emission levels.

The law says novas dont need cats. So if your nova has a cat, by law you can take it off. It will still have to pass the emissions though. But all you have to do to reduce the emissions, is turn the little plastic screw anti clockwise.

Presto!

Aragorn
11-03-04, 09:39 AM
its still a very grey area

my local mot station tested my bro's k plate on a cat test

he also showed me the MOT manual which stated 3 nova engines which required cat testing...

C12NZ C14NZ and C16SE im sure as i seem to remember one missing (the SRi)

u could argue the case and probably get away with it at some mot stations others will go by the letter of the law

for the gte you could tell em its an early E16SE engine which cant use a cat and assuming they dont actually know their vauxhall engines u could get away with it

Nova_boy_69
11-03-04, 11:01 AM
the law states that ALL cars registed after 93 leagally have to have a cat, my advice would be to get a dodgy MOT. Most mechanicals would pass it anyway!

Will
11-03-04, 11:23 AM
the law states that ALL cars registed after 93 leagally have to have a cat, my advice would be to get a dodgy MOT. Most mechanicals would pass it anyway!

dodgy MOT because of a cat pipe, WTF some ppl make me laff!

Nova_boy_69
11-03-04, 11:32 AM
soz mate, by dodgy MOT i meant get a mate or a mechanic you know to MOT it there just give a blind eye.

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 11:54 AM
i cant get dodgy mot's :wink:
and they dont give me mot's when the car is still at home :wink: