PDA

View Full Version : Bad bump steer and odd tyre wear

robb
09-03-04, 11:30 AM
Hi,

I have a nova (duh!) which is down 40mm running 16" TSW hockenheims.

I get bump steer and steering is quite vague, I beleive the rack to be buggered which may be half the problem BUT....

I have very severe and odd wear on front passenger and rear driver, the wear is bad....down to limit in 3 weeks on avon ZV1(?) but the other two show usual wear.

The wheels and tyres are second hand, show signs of a crash but are not badly scratched or att all bent. I have been told that an overheated tyre will not perform properly, could this be the explanaition?

Thanks
Robb

novashed
09-03-04, 12:46 PM
had your tracking looked at?, camber and castor all ok?. if u had a small knock recently causing the geometry to be out of sync. i had similar problems. now the valvers going in ill sort it when that gets finished. going to use eccentirc top mounts and have it all setup properly at a motorsport place near me.

robb
09-03-04, 05:18 PM
Thanks Chris.....

.......tracking done 2 month ago (along with new track ends and bottom ball joints), no real bangs only hard driving, camber is out (lowered!) but shows no camber caused wear on the tyre, they are worn evenly all over and it is one at the back that is wearing quick that worries me

After 3-4 weeks driving

Front left on limit

Front right usual wear (a mm or so)

Back left usual wear (virtually none, it's on the back!)

Back right half worn (very worrying!!!)

It may seem odd but have I got two legs longer than the other, like a wonky bar stool (wonky before beer!)

RoBB

novashed
09-03-04, 05:28 PM
well odd!!

checked tyre pressures?

the dampers and springs ok, opposite tyres weraing could be sort of pivoting on the other two??, just a guess

paul

funkypunk89
09-03-04, 08:57 PM
Sorry to sound stupid....but whats bump steer?

XZiBiT
09-03-04, 09:23 PM
sounds bad :?

novashed
09-03-04, 10:52 PM
bump steer is when the suspension moves upwards it causes the wheel to toe in, therefore oversteering on just that wheel. the effectof this excentuated (spel?) when a car is lowered as the steering arms are sitting higher than they were designed to, hope that helps

funkypunk89
09-03-04, 11:08 PM
but what is the reult? dodgy steering

novashed
09-03-04, 11:20 PM
irregular handling when going round a hard bend oversteer, irregular tyre wear

robb
10-03-04, 09:09 AM
I have very irregular tyre wear, there is no unevenwear across the tyre, it is just the front left and back right that have worn excessively!

Any ideas?

RoBB

Barn
10-03-04, 11:37 AM
how are your wheel bearings?

robb
10-03-04, 11:54 AM
how are your wheel bearings?

Fine ta!

Could it be one leg shorter than the other syndrome?