PDA

View Full Version : 1600 GTE/GSi ignition wiring.

brian
08-03-04, 11:05 PM
I just want to point out how important what Aragorn said in another topic is.
I posted up a while back about getting inconsistant spark in the rally car after wiring the engine. it came and went and was weak and strong.
Aragorn pointed out which i didn't know there is a resistance in the coil black wire from early 1.0 / 1.2. and that the black from the 1600 plug needs to be connected back to a switched live instead of the black by the old 1.0 coil.
I did this tonight and sure enough i have perfect constant spark now. in previous times when wiring these engines in road cars i have obviously been lucky to get away with using the black wire by the coil but this one time i was caught out and was very confussed by it.

Ste_Nova
09-03-04, 09:36 AM
where is the resistor... i've never found it

2litreturbo
09-03-04, 10:09 AM
me neither! it is only on the 1600's?

mowgli
09-03-04, 07:21 PM
The resistor is only on non injection cars.
It is actually a wire with an in-built resistance so it drops the feed voltage to the coil to 6v. there is an extra wire from the starter back to the coil that supplies extra voltage for the start up, when the voltage from the battery dips due to the extra current draw for the starter motor.
the wire is clear (from memory), and is part of the loom.

brian
09-03-04, 11:23 PM
yes there is a clear wire in this loom which i never saw before so its probably it.
and ste..... mowgli just answered what you don't seem to believe

mikeyredtop
10-03-04, 10:36 AM
i had te same problem but the spark wasnt doing much and would miss under load. glad i know this aftre i scrapped...

2litreturbo
10-03-04, 11:20 AM
. there is an extra wire from the starter back to the coil that supplies extra voltage for the start up, when the voltage from the battery dips due to the extra current draw for the starter motor.

what terminal on the starter motor does this wire run from? and i take it goes to the +15 side of the coil?

Thanks

Ste_Nova
10-03-04, 12:02 PM
yes but where is it????

i've got a 1.4 in my 1.0... and i can't find it