PDA

View Full Version : Brakes (again)

DUNOVA.
08-03-04, 08:35 PM
Last week some of you might know that I had my new disks and pads fitted and a new calliper (I did let them bed in) I had my drivers side caliper replaced because it was sticking on :evil: went out tonite got literly half mile up the road steering went mad (shaking like fcuk) got out had a look and my passenger side disk was really glowing very very hot would this be a problem somewhere else in the braking system Because it's the seconde caliper in a week and a half.cheers

Stu

MechaT
09-03-04, 02:11 AM
I dunno, blocked brake pipe?

XZiBiT
09-03-04, 06:04 AM
try getting new clipers and brake lines stu

m.d.
09-03-04, 08:54 AM
was the calliper second hand because the sliders stick on all of those callipers at some point so you may well have got another duff one.
you can get a slider kit to replace the siezed ones but if you just press them out of the old calliper (vice and a socket works well) they can normally be cleaned up with wet and dry and wil work fine.

try it on the old calliper

DUNOVA.
09-03-04, 11:10 AM
I suppose i'll need a new disk aswell because it was glowing red would it of warped :?:

Ste_Nova
09-03-04, 11:19 AM
glowing is ok.. its when you stop they warp.. you need to drive the car using the brake lightly to cool them off

DUNOVA.
09-03-04, 11:40 AM
I got home and just covered them in water :lol: coz I was a bit worried the tyre was really hot aswell :lol:

Adam
09-03-04, 01:43 PM
The reason they would warp is because of the fast heating and cooling process. You drove along with them steaming hot, when you stopped the coolr air would cool them quickly causing the metal to warp.
Most brakes glow when used heavily, but continuous light braking would bring the temp down slowly.

pingu_turbo
09-03-04, 06:43 PM

pingu_turbo
09-03-04, 06:46 PM
I had the same prob once, have you got std sr brakes? I put larger wheels on my 1.3 (15") and they were fine with the std crappy tires you get wiv them, but when i replaced the tires wiv summit a bit more grippy, i had no end of probs like that, the xtra grip and load just made them shite. I went down the scrappy and got some cav sri calipers and discs and then they were 100% improvement. As to your new disc that has overheated, i found that if they go bluey/purple colour they have tempered them and gone harder than b4. Mine were shite after the glowing disc incident, and also your pads will prolly be knackered cos of the heat, unless you got some uprated ones. I managed to crack one of my std discs by cooling it down with water so be really careful. I would get the cav calipers, and go from there, very easy to fit! If not like m.d says just remove the caliper and rubb down the inside of the piston working surface with very fine wet/dry or wire woll. Then put a small amount of brake fluid on the piston o-ring and put the piston in. Make sure the o-ring goes in square or you'll take the corners off it. You should be able to move the piston with your fingers easily, once all done.

Hope this is some help. :)

GSiLuvver
09-03-04, 08:11 PM
I doubt very much that your brake lines are blocked, as you'd have had trouble stopping at all.

Your seized caliper is probably due to a sticky slider, agreeing with what other people have said.

If you hadn't been driving for very long before your brakes over heated, the you may not necessarily need to buy new pads. If they are a bit glazed up (shiny and flaky on the surface), after a few more gentle brake applications, they should clean themselves up. However, if you can see that the top few millimetres of pad are all crumbling away, you'll need new pads. I doubt the latter though as you need to get the pads very very hot to do this.

I disagree with the post that it is usual for brake discs to glow after hard use. You're discs should NEVER glow whilst the car is being driven on the road, even very fast road use. If they do, the something is wrong! To make your discs glow, you need to get them to 500-600 degrees C!! I doubt that if you took your car on a track day the brakes would get that hot!

To find out if your disc has warped, you'll need to remove it and take it to someone with a DTI (dial thickness indiactor). This will show the maximum thickness variation of the disc. In the fitting instructions that came with your discs, it should give you a guide on what is acceptable or not. Bear in mind, that no disc is completely flat. There is always some variation in thickness.

funkypunk89
09-03-04, 09:04 PM
I am guessing you would be able to feel it if your sliders were stickin when you are driving?

DUNOVA.
10-03-04, 12:25 AM
Went out in my car tonite and it's fine :? :? I don't understand what's goin on there very confused :o

GSiLuvver
10-03-04, 07:48 PM
Yes, you would be able to feel a sticking slider as the car would want to pull to one side.

Depending on which side the car pulls towards, and whether you've actually got your foot on the brake pedal, that will tell you which caliper needs attention.

funkypunk89
10-03-04, 09:47 PM
K, coz ever since i put my new wheels on it tends to pull around abit on uneven road....like follows the camber of the road

any ideas?

DUNOVA.
10-03-04, 11:58 PM
I heard when you put bigger wheels on or different wheels on you need to get the tracking done wether this is true or not I don't know :roll:

Got my brakes done today it was a sticky slider :o

Ash
11-03-04, 12:14 AM
funkypunk
i think its pulling about the road coz ur offset its too high, atleast that wot i was told with mine.

DUNOVA.
11-03-04, 12:39 AM
Offset too high :?

funkypunk89
11-03-04, 11:09 AM
Nah its 45....

I got then straight on a mk1 with no arch work....so cant be that high!

2litreturbo
11-03-04, 11:48 AM
To find out if your disc has warped, you'll need to remove it and take it to someone with a DTI (dial thickness indiactor). This will show the maximum thickness variation of the disc. In the fitting instructions that came with your discs, it should give you a guide on what is acceptable or not. Bear in mind, that no disc is completely flat. There is always some variation in thickness.

RUBBISH! This shows if the disk is worn to below the minimum level . You need to have the run-in checked. A warped disc wont necessarly be different thickness. you will not find a disc that is thicker on one side than the other