PDA

View Full Version : Fitting engine and need advice

djp_y2k
06-03-04, 06:28 PM
Just started to prepare engine for fitting.

And noticed that the pulley on the crank shaft for the alternator only has one pulley, but the enigine also has power steering.

By the looks of it, there is one belt that goes to the altenator and the powersteering.

There is know way of adjusting the altenator to tighten pulley either as this was on the pwersteering mounting braket.

Has anyone have any advice or pics of what there pulleys look like on there altenator and crankshaft.

If it helps the engine is out of a 93 onwards calibra (c20xe)

Cheers guys

djp_y2k
07-03-04, 08:57 AM
any advice or pics for the above.

Also (sorry :oops: ) the inner cv joints. On this engine the right one (short drive shaft) fits in as u would think, but the left seems completly different.

The drive shaft was split in to with a the inner cv joint finishing at a braket and then MIDDLE driveshaft going into the gearbox.

Do I have to change anything to make the inner cv joint fit like the right one.

If you know what I am on about as I'm not to good at explaining things I will try get some pics, but if you can help please do.

cheers guys

Austin_Nova16
07-03-04, 01:22 PM
My engine was a late dis-pac model. And this is what I did....

I swapped the bottom pully for an early item - which has one bit for the alt and 1 for the power steering.

I got rid of the power steering part of the pully by turning it on a lathe and cutting it off (often an angle grinder is used for this - but lathe or mill is most accurate from a balancing point of view).

I changed the alternator pully for a v-belt one, off a nova/cav alternator, which is actually 2 piece and run the early 16v alternator tensioner and got a new thin alternator belt.

Originally, I did retain the wider pullys with an early 16v tensioner and using a vauxhall/renult van belt (can't remember the name of it, but both vaux and renult make it), which is exactly the right length. This worked ok, but the alternator pully kept rubbing on the leg.

Hope this heps!

Ste_Nova
07-03-04, 03:47 PM
see here

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89183

djp_y2k
07-03-04, 07:36 PM
yea thats helped loads, cheers guys.

Thanks for that ste_nova.

It is a completly different set up at the mo, so will be on the search for the new pulleys etc.

Did anything about the inner cv's make sense?