PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Nova

DDC
05-03-04, 09:48 PM
Hello, I am just new to the site. I am 17 in 2 months and I am going to be buying a car about May or June. I am extremely into cars but mostly in the Vauxhall range. Thought about getting a Corsa but there seem to to any about. The insurance seems to be relatively cheap for a Vectra or an Astra. I have also considered getting a Nova cause they are great wee things for tuning. I will have about ?1800, would I get a good Nova and have a wee bit for mods on the budget. I will have about ?80 - ?100 to spend on the car a month. With a change of jobs that I am considering I may have about ?300 a month to spend on it. Is it worth while blowing my money on modifying a Nova. As I want a car that stands out from the crowds. I would be grateful for ur thoughts.

Thanks

Dpnova
05-03-04, 09:49 PM
Ull have to spend alot to make it stand out but novas are good cars, lots of cheap bits about and easy to fit urself :D

dan_mk1
05-03-04, 09:50 PM
you need to bear in mind insurance fella, and mods will bump up your insurance, best thing to do is get a 1/1.2ltr run around for a yr/2 yrs then get a faster car when youve got some driving experience!

Dpnova
05-03-04, 09:51 PM
Like the max power haynes, the nova is a car that grows with you lol. get a 1.2 now keep it a few years and then drop a bigger lump in it

Jim
05-03-04, 09:56 PM
Get a 1.0 for a couple of years until you build up your no claims and driving experience.

Jim

?Marty?
05-03-04, 09:58 PM
Novas are good cars to modify, BUT be prepared to lose ALL, or at least nearly all, the money you spend on it. No matter what you do to it/how much you spend, it will allways be just a a Nova at the end of the day.

It is a good car to have as a 17 year old though, easy to work on so you can learn car maintenance/mechanics on it and etc. Look good done up and some subtle but effective mods wont cost a lot.

Though ?1800 is plenty to get a very good one, yuo will struggle to find a clean one. They rust very easily and most have. Or have been repaired, but will rust again eventually.

Get something like a Fiat Punto. Mk1 i mean. They look great with subtle mods - de-locking/de-badging and etc. Stand out more than the nova when done up too. OR get yourself a Honda Civic 1.3. Cheap insurance, and a LOT more reliable/better put together than a Nova. And wont rust.

Neil.
06-03-04, 12:35 AM
Buy a 1.2 or 1.4(as u can use some of the ?1800 for insurance), do up the exterior and interior but leave the engine till your insurance goes down a bit, maybe till your 18. so u could get respray, alloys, bucket seats, ICE if ur into that kind, and that'll take a year and then do engine bits!