PDA

View Full Version : Smoke and Screaming? Possibly from Startermotor? HELP!!!

cassanova
05-03-04, 12:47 PM
Ive had problems with starting the car lately and a couple of days ago the starter motor stopped working so I took it out and got it fixed, new bushes etc., refitted it and it starts, runs like a bag of shit and sort of whistles/screams (not an alternator belt noise, much high pitched), it follows the revs of the throttle, then when I turn the engine off theres smoke or steam of some sort but I can see where its coming from. My old man suggested that there was a problem with the startermotor not retracting once I let go of the ignition and and the whistling is the startermotor spinning and the smoke is coming from there, but I took the startermotor back to the autoelecrics place and they tested it in front of me and it works perfectly, have also checked the power in and the trigger for it and after spending the day refitting it AGAIN, its still exactly the same.

Has any1 had this problem?

Cheers
Ford

pingu_turbo
06-03-04, 06:34 PM
Ive not had this problem, but have you tried running the car without the starter motor?

nova.pimp
06-03-04, 06:41 PM
hey up mate. my old man reckons its either water pump probz or alternator. hes 95% sure. let us know. :?

mikeyredtop
06-03-04, 07:30 PM
waterpumps squeil like a pig, but if u want to isolate the problem take the starter out makin sure u tape up the live and solinoid red/black wire then reconnect the earth.. bump it in second and see if it squiels if it does its ur pump or somate else, but if alls sound then ur probs ur starter!

m.d.
07-03-04, 01:25 PM
the starter may be rubbing on the flywheel or something. is there any wear on the starter.