PDA

View Full Version : help please

nova neil(swindon)
04-03-04, 12:47 AM
i got a druming noise from 1 of my wheels iv changed the bearing and new discs so its not a warped disc iv ben told the cv boot can any one give me any info on this ie would it make a noise and how easy it is to change

thanks neil

DUNOVA.
04-03-04, 10:24 AM
Is it more of a clicking/knocking noise when you turn :?: if it is then it's your cv joints.Im not to sure if there easy to change I heard that they can be a bit of a mission .

matty172
04-03-04, 10:40 AM
ye its easy 2 change em. driveshaft retain nut off,wheel off, control arm bolt out, driveshaft off. id just change whole d/shaft. but u cn just do cv. take boot off, circlip off, clean, new grease, cv on, NEW boot on, d/shaft bk on, tightened to correct torque. get ya haynes out!!!!!!!!!

2litreturbo
04-03-04, 12:15 PM
ye its easy 2 change em. driveshaft retain nut off,wheel off, control arm bolt out, driveshaft off. id just change whole d/shaft. but u cn just do cv. take boot off, circlip off, clean, new grease, cv on, NEW boot on, d/shaft bk on, tightened to correct torque. get ya haynes out!!!!!!!!!

couple of things, no need to change the whole shaft unless you are talking about a second hand shaft in which case NO. Never use 2nd hand cv joints. More hassle than it's worth.

The hub nut is a 30mm socket job so you'll need to find one of those. Then take wheel off. then use two 13mm sockets to undo the tiny nut/bolt at the bottom. It is a nylock nut so could be quite stiff. Then use a ball joint splitter to drop the wishbone out of the hub. cut the cable tie holding the cv boot on and push back the cv boot. DONT take the shaft out. Use a pair of circlip pliers inside the cv joint to open the circlip and pull the cv joint off. If you take the shaft out, it makes it so hard to get the joint off the shaft as you dont have enough hands. clean old grease off, put new cv on and refit everything. Take a look at the boot, if it needs replacing, then do it while the cv joint is off.

geordie_racer
04-03-04, 12:44 PM
neil where are you getting your parts from? i always found the motor factors at blunsdon the best place when i lived in swindon.

chris

nova neil(swindon)
04-03-04, 11:09 PM
Is it more of a clicking/knocking noise when you turn :?: if it is then it's your cv joints.Im not to sure if there easy to change I heard that they can be a bit of a mission .

yea its a knocking noise but it goes when i turn left ??? :?: the noise is still there when turning right or just driving

XZiBiT
05-03-04, 06:41 AM
:o

DUNOVA.
05-03-04, 10:25 AM
Just replace your CV joints mate it ain't to much of a problem mine was doing it for about six months never got it changed Id turn like reverse round a corner then turn to drive of slow and it would click/knock like mad :roll: