PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out?

Richybits
03-03-04, 07:54 PM
Hello,
Ive got a 1.4i Luxe Plus and recently when i have warmed the car up, when i come towards a junction or traffic lights etc and i have to change down the gears and brake, but when im at a stand still the car just seems to want to cut out rather than just tick over? Sometimes it might kick in and tick over but usually it just cuts out and stalls. Ive no idea what it could be, people have suggested a 'Tuning up' would help, or maybe its a realy problem, or even just dirt in the carb. But ive no idea??? Someone please help. Thanks for looking!
Rich

Mel
03-03-04, 08:34 PM
check the carb, dizzy and plugs..mine used to stop all the time when slowing down to a junction, but mainly when stopped as well..mine was a broken dizzy :wink:

badnova
03-03-04, 09:39 PM
might be the tick over to low
very easy to sort out

Jack
04-03-04, 10:07 AM
Ive got a 1.4i Luxe Plus

check the carb

you'll have trouble checking the carb on that :wink:

ought to be able to pick up some cleaning stuff from halfords to clean some of the skadge out the injectors

mikeyredtop
04-03-04, 10:14 AM
ought to be able to pick up some cleaning stuff from halfords to clean some of the skadge out the injectors

thers only 1 injector Mr corrector..

check rotor, dizzy cap, leads and plugs make sure its firing on 4 to start with then work from there could be many things, crank sensor, temp sensor, headgasket airleak after butterfly, the list goes on...

Will
04-03-04, 10:23 AM
injectors? injector u mean, lol

anyway

prob just idle mixture screw (if it works the same as the carb does as i have little knowledge) all u need to do is adjust it by turning it up etc :D

Jack
04-03-04, 10:50 AM
ahh yeah... only one injector... hence single point injection... i knew that :wink:

nova_rally
04-03-04, 11:17 AM
Check your ignition timing as well. Start the car, get it to the temperature where your revs die. Undo the dizzy clamp bolt (under the dizzy, not sure what size) and turn the dizzy untill your idle seems to settle to a more acceptable level. Then just do the bolt up. Idiot mechanic just retarded the timing on mine so It runs crap, pretty much as you describe. It was like that when I got it, but I advanced it and it was fine after.

Alan

2litreturbo
04-03-04, 12:05 PM
Ive got a 1.4i Luxe Plus

check the carb

you'll have trouble checking the carb on that

I wouldn't. It's right on top of the inlet manifold. It's an SPI engine so it has a carb but doesn't have a float chamber. It has a single injector in the middle of the carb which injects fuel at the right time.

Aragorn
04-03-04, 12:28 PM
theres also no idle mixture screw - its lambda driven

clean the idle control valve

Richybits
04-03-04, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the speedy response. All said pretty much the same thing which was handy, i did ask the 'Local' mechanic but wasnt even sure if he could speak english, never the less i left pretty quick. Cheers to you all, Aragorn
pretty much nailed it for me, cleaned and sprayed and it seems to be fine now!!
Thanks a lot
:D :lol: :P