PDA

View Full Version : !!!!!!!!!1.6 GTE engine wiring help!!!!!

banny2k
02-03-04, 09:15 PM
I need to know where the following wires go on the 1.6 GTE engine hence the topic. Can all you 1.6 GTE owners help this temporary 1.6 wannabe out and take a look for me? I really need to know and would help me a great deal.

The link for the pic is ...

http://www.sighost.us/members/bluemorbo/wirespic.jpg

Cheers folks!!

mowgli
02-03-04, 10:01 PM
it goes something like this......
make use of all of your original wiring for ancillaries(senders etc.) & the starter motor/alternator circuits
then you need to connect the big red one to the battery(use lug on starter motor)
then connect the black one to the ign. +ve circuit (trace the black coil wire on your old loom back and run a new wire from there.
the red/blue needs running to the injection pressure pump, which needs an earth.
run the brown/white wire to either the correct telltale on the dash, or if you are fitting it with your original dash, just link it into the choke light.
there really are no other wires, all of the loom on the engine is self contained.
enjoy

banny2k
03-03-04, 09:11 AM
the colours of the wires i have are

Red
Green
Black
Red&Black

The red and black will be the same but what are the other 2 do you think?? Cheers for your help to.

2litreturbo
03-03-04, 12:06 PM
green is for the rev counter. connect it to the -1 terminal on your coil.

black and red goes to the solenoid on the starter motor.

banny2k
03-03-04, 03:02 PM
there is already a black&red wire going to the starter motor solenoid? Do i add this wire as well or instead off becaue the black&red wire is from the wiring from the car??? Is everyone certain the thick red one goes to the battery because when i try starting it it tries to keep on starting when it is connected?? Where is the wire for the 'water pressure pump' if i have that right?

2litreturbo
03-03-04, 03:42 PM
not sure then mate.

have you tried the haynes manual?

will defo be in there

pingu_turbo
03-03-04, 06:44 PM
Are putting a 1.6 in a carbed shell? because i have done the same before.
Is that pic showing the plug/socket from the loom used with the bosch ecu? if so, i had 4 wires, and this is where i put them:
thick red - +12 on the battery
red/blue - fuel pump*
black - into fuse no1 linked to h/lights*
green - rev counter behind dash
*I might have these 2 the wrong way around, it was a while ago. :)

i ran 3 xtra cables from the socket, past the battery and into the cabin, noting the color difference.

Hope this helps.

2litreturbo
04-03-04, 09:32 AM
red and blue is for fuel pump. But why did you wire the switched live to your headlights?

It goes to the ignitions (on coil)

Aragorn
04-03-04, 12:19 PM
the coil ignition black aint the best one to use

some carbed engines - early 1200 and 1.0 notably have a resistance wire in the feed to the coil to stop it burning out - u should run the black wire inside the cabin and connect it to a good solid ignition live either in the fuse box or at the ignition barrel itself

Ste_Nova
04-03-04, 12:50 PM
the coil ignition black aint the best one to use

some carbed engines - early 1200 and 1.0 notably have a resistance wire in the feed to the coil to stop it burning out - u should run the black wire inside the cabin and connect it to a good solid ignition live either in the fuse box or at the ignition barrel itself

prove it... i couldn't find it on my 1.0 and it's not shown on the haynes wiring diagrams

2litreturbo
04-03-04, 01:33 PM
does it matter if it does? the ecu doesn't draw any current from this. It is only used to let the ecu know then ignition is on. It takes it feed from the large red wire that you connect to the battery.

Like to remote wire for your amp.

pingu_turbo
04-03-04, 06:58 PM
The reason why i put that wire on there is because when i took the engine out from the origional sheddy shell i traced back the wire on the loom and thats where it ended up, so thought id put it there. :lol:
I dont see how it tells the ecu when the ign is on as the lights on both cars worked when it was off. But anywayz thats why i put it there.

Btw, i took the engine from a '87 GTE and put it into a '88 1.3sr

banny2k
04-03-04, 10:08 PM
folks your are not remembering there are two different wirings the one with the plug from the wiring loom showing the four coloured wires on the photo AS LISTED ABOVE and another with other coloured wires. I have gathered the thick red must go to the battery from what you have all said. But there is ...

red/black
green
black

... left.
i think in both cases green is for revs can anyone tell me? now i need to now red/black AND black, and folks when checking cus your all great people and all it is pointless if u have different wiring. Guessing is no good to me? So if u have the exact same colours please do tell me.

Cheers

2litreturbo
05-03-04, 09:18 AM
I dont see how it tells the ecu when the ign is on as the lights on both cars worked when it was off. But anywayz thats why i put it there.

you put it to the switched live side of the fusebox so when ignition is one, it gives it power and tells the ecu the ignitions is on.

2litreturbo
05-03-04, 09:18 AM

you put it to the switched live side of the fusebox so when ignition is one, it gives it power and tells the ecu the ignitions is on.

geordie_racer
06-03-04, 10:23 PM
green tachometer/rev counter goes from coil to clocks

black switched live(this is the same on all nova's and im sure all vauxhalls) connect to any black wire one on the coil will do or the headlights as you used(i wouldn't recommend this tho). I usually use the one on the coil.

red/black goes to the starter motor(have checked this against wiring diagrams for nova's on 4 different years so it will be right)

oh and you say you already have a red black on the starter motor can you trace where it goes to? the wiring diagram clearly shows 1 red black wire one end to the starter motor the other end to the starter switch.

chris