PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 sv ecu, what does it control

mc_hawkings
01-03-04, 04:47 PM
just want to clear up a few issues to whether it is necessery to use it or dump it. As the engines going into the nova on its 1.2 wiring.

thanks

a2lt16v
01-03-04, 05:20 PM
maybe use full to have it as a ecu generally on most engines controls the engine ignition and fueling but give it a go with out it. tell us when you got it running

mc_hawkings
01-03-04, 05:28 PM
I'd put it on but i'm not sure where to feed the wires to, so i just wanna know what it controls.

thanks

Adam
02-03-04, 01:49 PM
It controls how much petrol enters the injector, it know the engine speed, the position of the pistons. And controls ignition timing in relation to the engine rotation speed etc.
It is also fed infomation from the MAP sensor( which i can't remember what it stands for).
Basically it is the brain of the engine, it controls every aspect under the bonnet inside the engine.
I could give you full info if i was at home with a Haynes manual to hand.

2litreturbo
02-03-04, 04:28 PM
if the engine was built to use an ECU, you cannot get rid of it unless you put carbs on to replace the injection system.

To be honest mate, if your putting a 1.6 in your nova you need to do a lot more research. You really dont seem to know your stuff. i have read two posts of your both regarding ECU's.

If you wanna call me i will answer all your questions.
pm me if ya want.

Will
02-03-04, 04:30 PM
if the engine was built to use an ECU, you cannot get rid of it unless you put carbs on to replace the injection system.

To be honest mate, if your putting a 1.6 in your nova you need to do a lot more research. You really dont seem to know your stuff. i have read two posts of your both regarding ECU's.

If you wanna call me i will answer all your questions.
pm me if ya want.

very helpfull bloke there id take his offer of help if i was you, btw, in my opinion its best to research everything before you begin then you can get an idea of

1. how long it will take
2. the bits you need (all the parts!)
3. the cost involved which is normally a lot more than you first think

Good luck

2litreturbo
02-03-04, 04:44 PM
very helpfull bloke there

Cheers Will :lol:

mc_hawkings
02-03-04, 08:56 PM
Its A 1.6sv engine its not a multipoint 1.6. As for the loom it wire's into the cars wiring whereas a multipoint is separate to the engine.

I only got it as it was cheap & its not drinking oil by the cup full.
I'm asking questions because i couldnt find anything sv ecu related in the haynes & So i thought i'd try you lot.

2litreturbo
02-03-04, 09:09 PM
here is an ECU summary. Take note

ALL injection engines (MP OR SP) have an ECU. The engine WILL NOT run without the ecu. You can not change the injectors without chaging the program on the ECU. Most standard ECU's are NOT prgrammable. On certain ford ECU you can add a flash module to modify the ECU.

An engines loom will be seperate to the cars loom. It may be joined in certain places but they are still seperate looms.

The only way to run an engine without an ECU is to scrap the injection system and use carbs. The carbs add the correct ratio of fuel depending on the amount of air going in. The ratio is set by a mixture screw and is calibrated using a gas analyser stuck in the exhaust in a garage.

All fueling and ignition timing adjustments on injection engines are controlled by the ECU. As is the idle speed when cold and hot (form of auto choke). Hence if you remove the ECU, the engine will simply never start.

mc_hawkings
02-03-04, 09:57 PM
Its ok chill, i will be using it anyway just need to find out what to connect.
Thanks for the info anyway.

geordie_racer
02-03-04, 10:40 PM
ill check out what it does for youwhen i get home from work, is the sv the 1.6 carb cav engine? actually ill just check when i get home and then will post a final answer for you.

chris

mc_hawkings
02-03-04, 10:47 PM
Yes it is a cav engine & Thanks very much the help is very much needed

LiD0N
02-03-04, 11:42 PM
yes purplenova does seem very helpfull, still wanna help us drop my new lump in? tis nearly ready....

badnova
02-03-04, 11:43 PM
knows quite alot about novas

geordie_racer
03-03-04, 01:08 AM
right i have the answer lol knew what i thought was right but just checked it with epc.

the ecu on the 16sv engine is for electronic ignition control, as mentioned earlier it is used in conjunction with a pre ignition vacuum sensor(similer to a map sensor) to determine the advance/retard on the igniton and the timing for the ignition firing.

You will need to get it wired it to use the engine if you still need help with that you will have to wait till thursday when im off work and have had time to do a little research and get it sorted in my head

hope that helps clear things up
chris

2litreturbo
03-03-04, 09:37 AM
yes purplenova does seem very helpfull, still wanna help us drop my new lump in? tis nearly ready....

Yeah should be able to mate. Just let me know nearer the time and make sure i aint working.

mc_hawkings
03-03-04, 10:47 AM
Someone answer my other thread (has anyone fitted a 1.6sv) cheers

2litreturbo
03-03-04, 10:52 AM
Someone answer my other thread (has anyone fitted a 1.6sv) cheers

Whats the point in that post? people can see the title in the forum list. If anyone has fitted one, they will reply. But it is a bit of a crap engine to put in a nova and i dont know of ANYONE that has done it. :x

mc_hawkings
03-03-04, 12:29 PM
why is it crap when its the same as the 16se block which i have in the garage. & only differences are head which has round ports & not arched, id have to check but i think there square actually. Also its a carb, so the only diffs are top half. Theres nothing wrong with 82hp & 97 lbs of torque. At the end of the day it only cost me ?40 so i'm not bothered in the slightest. So you cant say its a crap engine when there no diffs between blocks

mc_hawkings
03-03-04, 01:09 PM
I just had a look at the 16se injection manifold & it has round ports, not arched or square.

2litreturbo
03-03-04, 01:32 PM
you are so narrow minded. if is a crap engine TO PUT IN A NOVA is what i said. read the fucking post properly you twat.

Just because the blocks are the same does not mean the engines are just as good. The one you want is a carbed spi which had crap performance. i cant see the point in putting it in. but if you wanna waste your time go ahead.

ADMIN

can we see about locking this post as once again, people are being offended by sound advice being given. If they didn't want the advice, they shouldn't have posted.

thanks

mc_hawkings
03-03-04, 01:42 PM
Pm'd you instead

geordie_racer
06-03-04, 11:05 PM
right ignorin all the bitchin above about the quality of this engine(personally i think it's a shit engine for any car really but it's not my car and i have only been asked for advice not an opinion)

Have you got the engine in and running? I have replied in your other post, can you put up a list of wiring colors here that are on the ignition ecu plug for me to look at aswell.

chris

mc_hawkings
08-03-04, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the gen on the wiring been a great help cheers.

Ps: its not spi

2litreturbo
09-03-04, 08:51 AM
right ignorin all the bitchin above about the quality of this engine(personally i think it's a s**t engine for any car really)

lol!

mc_hawkings
09-03-04, 10:03 AM
The one you want is a carbed spi which had crap performance

Its not single point injection

2litreturbo
09-03-04, 10:30 AM
yeah you said that.

geordie_racer
09-03-04, 02:08 PM
think ive missed something here,

how can you have a carbed spi?

carb = carburetter(sp?)
spi = single point injection

where was there an engine built with both?

oh and mc hawking is it fitted and running yet?

chris

mc_hawkings
09-03-04, 09:39 PM
i didnt say it was a carbed spi. Peeps just thought it was, it isnt spi's came in after k & know i havent put it in. I'm now selling as i've bought an astra

mc_hawkings
09-03-04, 09:43 PM
yeah you said that.

I had to say it again just incase you read it wrong as you seem to have learning difficulties

Nick
09-03-04, 11:11 PM
my j reg 1.2 has a carbed Single point injection !?

I still got a manual choke, n it's been checked out by quite a few people, they are all saying it's got single point injection. but it has a carb !

2litreturbo
10-03-04, 10:41 AM
yeah spi had a type of carb but it did not have a float chamber. The fuel was injected directly into the venturi in a bid to make them more efficient.

and mc_hawkings, less abuse please.

mc_hawkings
10-03-04, 11:47 PM
Pah abuse you you gotta be joking, your a pompous arrogant idiot.

Hows that