PDA

View Full Version : forced air induction into a sealed airbox

ydg27
01-03-04, 01:54 PM
will it work on mine.
i am gonna make it using the standard 1.5td intake system and the airbox on the inner wing. plastic weld all of the holes up in the airbox and cut a hole that has a good interference fit with the renault 19 16v bonnet vent, the induction cone is gonna be fitted inside the airbox and the top filter will be removed and the gap sealed.
i will tell ya how it goes and some ideas on how to improve the idea would help

Stuart
01-03-04, 06:46 PM
if it does benefit, it will only happen at 90+mph lol and then it wont be by much

ydg27
02-03-04, 08:27 AM
but it still may quieten the whistle down - there is turbo whistle and then there is my nova which has utterly rediculus turbo whistle and is beggining to piss me off.

i reckon i will get benefit because of the sheilding from the engine bay heat and it will be getting loads more cold air than at the moment

2litreturbo
02-03-04, 12:36 PM
if it does benefit, it will only happen at 90+mph lol and then it wont be by much

It will benefit at all speeds as it will be taking in 100% cold air.

ydg27
02-03-04, 04:05 PM
thank you purple nova

exacly what i thought, so would you say good idea or dont do it?

2litreturbo
02-03-04, 04:12 PM
yeah go fot it. Nice to see people trying things. Member, take pictures. The only problem i suspect is driving fast in heavy rain. You will get some water in the inlet charge. Have to see what happens!

ydg27
02-03-04, 05:12 PM
i was gonna drill a couple of 5mm holes in the bottom of the air box just as drain holes but this will ruin the idea of the sealed air system wont it.
i could put a fine gauze above the filter or wont that do anything

m.d.
02-03-04, 05:49 PM
get a piperX sock filter. cut it up and cover the whole in the bonnet with it. (undernieth) they are ideal for stopping water

Stuart
02-03-04, 06:46 PM
i was referrring to RAM AIR effect, the principle that swindon turned the 20xe head round for. the found out that ramming air into the TB's only gave proper benefits at 80-90mph and up.

and considering they are the "pros" its a bit of a good guage.